Computer problems

Old 08-28-07, 02:01 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Computer problems

My home computer was very slow and tended to freeze up. I asked the IT guy at work about it, and he told me to bring it in. He told me it had this Trojan virus, and downloaded Virtuomonde and Adware to correct the problem. When I hooked it up at home, I had the same problems as before.Also, Windows "Wincare" prompts me to "clean up" the Trojan problem.(?) I also ran Virtuo and Adware at home, just for kicks. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,Dave

Old 08-28-07, 02:28 PM
R
You probably do have a virus or spy ware program. If one of the commercial (free or pay) spy ware programs can't find it and eradicate it then reinstall the OS and start over.

Old 08-28-07, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree with racraft.

I've worked on many machines with viruses that cannot be removed. Only fix was to reformat and reload OS.

Old 08-28-07, 03:33 PM
D
Thanks ra and Hot, but not being comp savy(sp);what the heck is OS?

Old 08-28-07, 04:22 PM
OS is the operating system. Windows XP, Vista, etc.

I had one that was sending out spam emails. Everytime it started, the screen would fill with Norton Scans. Norton could'nt find it. Had a PC guy out. Nope. Paid Norton extra and gave them access to my pc, a total of 12 hour ordeal, they were on it for 3 hours, and still never got fixed. Eventually just copied the really important suff, then formatted the hard drive (means everything is gone), reloaded windows xp and started over.

Ticked me off that I paid them and they still didn't get it fixed. They basically said "oh well". I did not renew my 6 licenses with them.

Old 08-28-07, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
It would help to know the specific virus/trojan involved, then you might try Googling the term. Sometimes there are specific programs available to clean specific viruses or other malware.

Old 08-28-07, 09:38 PM
S
heres a link to a good read on malware (spyware and adware, unwanted or unknown software installed in your machine) removal and prevention

http://wiki.castlecops.com/MRP

you can then follow the MRP and see if that helps... just a last chance attempt of salvaging a system, in order to avoid a reformat and reinstall... HTH

Old 08-29-07, 06:28 AM
B
There are a number of things to look for in this case. Make sure you have a current anti-virus software running. I use the free version of AVG (http://free.grisoft.com/) It might have more than a virus though. Slow response and freezing up can mean much more. The slow response can be just an accumulation of legitimate programs. To determine what is really going on you can run this utility from Microsoft. It gives a great amount of more detail than task manager.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

If it truly freezes up where you have to power it off/on to recover and not just very slow then you might have a physical problem with overheating or a memory problem to mention a few. Does the mouse still move? Does the caps light come on/off when hitting the caps lock key? If so then it might just be very slow. To test the memory you can use Memtest86 (http://www.memtest.org).

There are alot of other places to look but this is a start. Let me kow if you have any questions.

Scott
[email address removed]

Last edited by racraft; 08-29-07 at 06:30 AM. Reason: email addresses not allowed in posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: