PC "locks" overnight

Old 08-29-07, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PC "locks" overnight

I don't know why it would have anything to do with it, but I upgraded my multi user Quickbooks Pro 2004 to 2007 on Friday. Now in the morning my PC says "this computer is locked, enter the admin password to unlock". The QB data files reside on my PC, so no one can get into QB until I get there.

I usually have things occurring, downloads, etc, on the password protected side of my PC, and switch user to the welcome screen when I leave. QB is closed when I leave. I looked in windows help, and there is nothing on it "auto locking". Also, when I log in at that time, I can't switch user or logoff, though the icons come up. And if I click start, shutdown, the icons don't come up. Nor will the task manager open. So I have to manually restart.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-07, 01:15 PM
B
What version of Windows are you running?

It could be as simple as the screensaver being password protected. To check

->right click on the desktop ->properties -> screensaver -> is password protect on resume set?

Or a user is intentionally locking the system with Ctl-Alt-Delete -> lock computer.

Scott

Old 08-30-07, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by belvisos View Post
->right click on the desktop ->properties -> screensaver -> is password protect on resume set?

Scott
Thanks Scott

I think that was it. A step farther though. Had to go into power options. At least if was fine this morning. Only thing I can think is that it got changed automatically somehow with the QB upgrade. If it's fine again tomorrow, I'll call it good.

Old 08-30-07, 04:23 PM
I set my computer to hibernate, which is under those power settings you found. You have to press the power button to wake it up, but it mostly goes back to where you were when it hibernated.

Quickbooks has lots of features that might "save yourself from yourself" so I wouldn't doubt it automatically setting some sort of security feature like this. By the way, how do you like the 2007 version? We need to upgrade too.

Old 08-30-07, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by logcabincook View Post
By the way, how do you like the 2007 version? We need to upgrade too.
The look is definitly different than 2004. So that always takes a bit of getting used to. It's a bit easier to see your estimates and invoices in the customer center. You don't have to do a quickreport for that. Same on the vendor side. If you do payroll, it's a lot nicer, at least my office manager thinks so. I'm guessing you don't unless you've been faking the system like I was for a couple of months.

I have the multi user, and suprisingly it's cheaper this time around, but I always hate being forced to upgrade. Been using it for 10 years.