Intermittent HD Failure

Old 09-04-07, 07:10 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Intermittent HD Failure

I have a machine that has been running strong for nearly 3 years. This weekend I started to get intermittent hard drive failures where it appears as though the mother board no longer recognizes the HD. When I try to reboot, it does not recognize the drive until I actually open the machine up and wiggle some connections (I suspect a bad cable or bad connector/solder joint). I have a plan of attack, but if there is a history of such issues with Maxtor IDE Drives and Asus SLI Deluxe (canít remember exact model number) mother boards, I would appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-07, 08:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
I recently had to replace a Maxtor HD that was younger than yours. Don't know if they have problems, but I was a bit surprised at the short lifespan of that one.

Old 09-07-07, 05:04 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know that they're any better or worse than others, but over the years I have had a few Maxtor drives go bad. Maxtor has a diagnostic utility that you can download and run to tell you if there's anything wrong with the drive. It will give you a diagnostic code that you can input on Maxtor's Web site and they will tell you if it's still under warranty. If it is, you can do the whole RMA process online without ever talking to an Earthling.

In case you haven't backed up lately, I would do so right away. Drives can fail suddenly, and if this one is acting flakey, that's a big warning.

It could just be coincidence that after you open the case and wiggle the cable, it works. I've had a similar experience. It will work, then it won't work, then it will... Sooner or later, it just doesn't, and that's that.