External HD

Old 09-08-07, 08:57 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
External HD

This morning I went to use my external HD thatís hooked up to my PC but got nothingÖ..it spun up for a few sec but then stopped. It wasnít making itís normal reading the drive sounds. I shut it down and tried hooking it to my laptopÖ.same thing happen, the only difference was windows made it connection sound but when I looked there was nothing there and I couldnít hear the drive running. The HD is about 2 yrs old and I use it about once a month for work.

1. Is the drive more then likely dead?
2. Is there anyway to recover the data? (I have sensitive work data and family pics so I just donít want to leave it at a store to be picked over)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-07, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you take it out of the case and connect it to your computers' IDE or SATA?

Old 09-08-07, 06:59 PM
R
The drive is IDE but my drive in my PC is SATA so I guess I'll need an IDE cable before I can do anything else.

Old 09-10-07, 07:00 PM
R
Found out what the problem is

Well, luck would have it my father called me today...I didn't even think to call him earlier on this. He said from what I told him about the drive issue and the new attempts to get things up and running; he thinks my controller baord for the drive is bad. I tried going to the Western Digital web site to look into replacing it but no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 09-11-07, 03:51 AM
If by "Controller board" you mean the one in the external case, just get a new case for it.. Cheaper way to go..
Did you try the drive in your computer?

Old 09-11-07, 10:35 AM
B
The best way to find a replacement controller board is to just google the exact part number off of the drive. Try to match the firmware also. The board will have to be as exact of a match as possible.

Old 09-12-07, 03:54 AM
You can get a new enclosure for $9.. Don't bother trying to replace the controller board..
Again, did you try the drive in your computer?

Old 09-12-07, 06:16 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Try tapping the case (gently) as the drive spins up.

If you don't have an IDE connector in your computer, you'll need a SATA to IDE adaptor, which was about $40 last time I bought one.

Still cheaper to buy a new case first.

Old 09-17-07, 04:35 PM
R
Still working problem

Well, there is no way that I'll find a controller board and the firmware for a match. Western Digital does even sell boards becuase it's to hard to find an exact firmware match. I'll be trying to hook the drive up as a slave drive to see if I can pull the data from it. It seems to be my last chance before having to send it somewhere.

Old 09-18-07, 04:29 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
>This forum requires that you wait 180 seconds between posts. Please try again in 87 seconds.

I do so hate being told to type slower...

Be prepared to pay a LOT of money for data recovery, and I do mean a LOT. I've seen prices in the thousands, because the data was worth it. Family photos, not so much.

Old 09-25-07, 07:00 AM
BSB
Buy one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156017

No need for a case, and works with everything but scsi. (well almost everything)

If the drive has some life left you might try self-recovery. Decent software is not too terribly expensive. If the drive is only 2yrs old it should still be under warranty, call and see if they can "repair" it, or if they just swap it out.