Spyware Attack

Old 09-14-07, 06:21 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spyware Attack

My daughter's computer was attacked by spyware last night.

The desktop background color went to black and in red a message stated that the computer was now infected by spyware.

Then popups started appearing to run these spyware elimination softwares. Of course, these all seemd to be from companies who probably infected the computer to begin with.

Step by step, what should I do to get the computer back to normal.

I have Comcast as an internet provider and they claim to be running McAfee all the time to combat this type of attack, but obviously this doesn't work.

I tried Spybot, but it needed to update via the internet and the spyware popups prevented the updates.

Obvisously trying to do this repair without buying a commercial product, so any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-07, 07:27 AM
J
Received 237 Votes on 208 Posts
Try booting in SAFE mode and then run spybot or adaware from lavasoft.
To boot to safe mode hit the F8 key repeatedly while the PC is booting up. You will thne get a menu asking to boot in different modes.

Old 09-17-07, 10:51 AM
B
Another thing to try is to go back to a restore point prior to having the problem. Click START-Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore. Select a restore date prior to having the problem. It will have you reboot to restore the system to the date specified. If this allows you to log back in successfully without anoying popups then immediately scan for viruses and spyware. You might also want to go through the add/remove programs list and see if anything was recently installed (inadvertantly by clicking on a bad popup) and uninstall it.

Old 09-17-07, 12:34 PM
F
google smitfraud-c.....it's nasty

Old 09-17-07, 03:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most of these spyware programs are almost impossible to remove without reformatting.

Doing a "go-back" will do nothing since it's still on the harddrive.

Smitfraud is extremely hard to remove without a complete wipe of the hardrive.

Old 09-18-07, 08:15 AM
B
The go back will just allow the user to get control of the system. Most spyware can be rid of one way or another if needed. It is a manual effort in most cases and takes special tools dependent on the type of spyware. Re-format is the gaurenteed way though.

Old 09-18-07, 06:41 PM
H
Are you sure it was spyware? You mention nothing about your antivirus software, other than Comcast maybe offers McAfee to their customers. Do you have it or another antivirus software installed? Is it updated? Have you scanned the system?

Old 09-18-07, 10:26 PM
J
Originally Posted by sgtgerryf View Post
My daughter's computer was attacked by spyware last night.

The desktop background color went to black and in red a message stated that the computer was now infected by spyware.

Then popups started appearing to run these spyware elimination softwares. Of course, these all seemd to be from companies who probably infected the computer to begin with.

Step by step, what should I do to get the computer back to normal.

I have Comcast as an internet provider and they claim to be running McAfee all the time to combat this type of attack, but obviously this doesn't work.

I tried Spybot, but it needed to update via the internet and the spyware popups prevented the updates.

Obvisously trying to do this repair without buying a commercial product, so any help is appreciated.

You could probably try pack.google.com Thats if you can download stuff. Cause you mentioned the popups from preventing that "updates"

You mentioned about comcast McAfee software provided by them not working. It could be, not saying it is actually but it probably isnt even running. I have a another family members computer that is running bellsouth and it was suppose to come with the security suite. It turned out that it didnt and it would of costed extra. Good thing the computer already had a valid security suite on it, before switching to it.

Ive had my share of the problems. Im currently running norton. Seems to be doing pretty good so far.

Old 09-18-07, 10:46 PM
H
Thumbs up

It's not your ISP's job/problem to run software on your computer. Sure, they may provide it, but you must install it and keep it updated. Although, I have seen at least one ISP that will install the software for you and install other programs to "help" you monitor your computer, and even remote in when you have trouble. I don't think that helps to solve the main issue. The ultimate responsibility for your computer system falls upon yourself. Take the time to learn about security on the Internet, you're going to need it as we introduce more and more interconnected systems.

Installing an antivirus should be something that everyone on the Internet knows how to do. After all, this site is called DIY. We should teach this now fundamental part of our society in schools.