Sharing music library on between 2 networked computers

Old 09-19-07, 09:06 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sharing music library on between 2 networked computers

I have a desktop and a laptop computer that are on a wireless network. I have iTunes and all of my music files on the desktop. Is there a way that I can access the music library on the laptop? I also have iTunes software on the laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-07, 10:08 AM
R
My understanding is that Apple will not allow this.

I think there is a way to upload your music from your Ipod to your laptop, but I do NOT think you can have two separate installations accessing the same stored library.

Old 09-19-07, 06:07 PM
H
On your computer that has the Itunes music on it, click on Edit, then Preferences and then click on the Sharing tab and you can check that you want to share your library on your network.

Old 09-19-07, 06:49 PM
G
Harlan,

Thanks. That allows me to share the Library.

How about if I want to replicate the playlists I have on the desktop to the laptop?

Old 09-19-07, 06:56 PM
H
I don't think you can replicate the playlist. If you can I have not been able to figure it out. Glad the libary works for you on the network.

Harlan.

Old 09-20-07, 03:49 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Assuming WinXP, try this ... it worked on a friend's home network:

You need to map the network music drive or folder on the laptop to make sure it's available to iTunes when it looks for music. Right-click on My Computer/Map Network Drive. When you're finished, the network drive will appear as a folder or disk icon, complete with drive letter. Selecting "Reconnect at Logon" will avoid having to re-map it every time you boot at home, but it will take a bit more time to boot and generate a "Network Drive Not Available" message when you're not at home.

At this point, you could just ask the laptop's iTunes to search for music on the network drive. Or ...

On the desktop's iTunes, choose File/Export Library. Copy the exported .xml file from the desktop to the laptop.

You then need to change the xml list to point to the network drive instead of the previous location. This can be done with Notepad's "Replace..." function. (Change Open File Type from .txt to All Files.)

Each song in the list has a drive pointer. For example, if your music was stored in C:/Music/, and your network drive is S:/, you need to replace C:/ with S:/ (Don't just replace the letter or it will replace every capital C with an S, including those in the song names.)

This gets tricky and will probably be the problem area if the desktop can't find the music. For example, if your original locations in the file pointed to C:/Documents and Settings/My Documents/My Music, and that's the folder you shared, you'll need to replace all that with just the shared drive letter. ( S:/ )

When you're finished, open iTunes on the laptop and File/Import Library.