How do you increase wireless signal ?

Old 10-04-07, 07:25 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do you increase wireless signal ?

I have verizon internet service and I got the wireless router that came with it. I have had this service for about 2 years. On a upstairs computer it gets a low or very low signal and for some reason it is very low or not connected lately. I have look at a linksys range booster but they are about $100. I have been told I could buy a new router, could this help and or they any cheaper? Thanks for any help. Does anyone have any other ideas or products that could improve the signal?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-07, 09:33 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Try repositioning the router. At those frequencies, a few inches can make a difference between a poor and strong signal.

Old 10-05-07, 04:39 AM
R
A wired connection is your best solution. It will be cheaper than a wireless connection (assuming you do the work), it will be more secure, and you won't have to worry about positioning or range boosting or whatever.

If you refuse to go wired, I suggest that you experiment with the location of the router and with the positioning of the individual receivers. The best location for the router is in the center of the house away from large appliances.

You can also try different wireless adapters for the computer. If using a USB adapter, try putting it on an extension cable and positioning it in various locations. Remember that the monitor and the computer itself will block the signal to some extent.

Old 10-05-07, 01:12 PM
W
wgc
try re-aiming antennas

Even re-aiming the antenna(s) can make a noticeable difference in the received signal strength

Old 10-05-07, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The rf signal goes straight out from the antenna in a donut pattern. Signal above the antenna will be very low, if any at all. Try adjusting the antenna sideways.

Old 10-26-07, 04:55 PM
K
keep the same polarization

The antennas should have the same alignment with each other. In other words, either both vertically or both horizontal.
I believe the strongest signal is perpendicular to a whip antenna, all around it. So if it's between two stories, orient them horizontally and parallel to each other.

Old 10-27-07, 08:23 AM
2x2
wired agree

A wired connection is your best solution. It will be cheaper than a wireless connection (assuming you do the work), it will be more secure, and you won't have to worry about positioning or range boosting or whatever.

I agree

Old 10-27-07, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
A wired connection is your best solution. [...] it will be more secure
Only more secure if you ditch your wireless router altogether, that is. And from a snooping neighbor standpoint, as far as I know all incoming packets will be broadcast over the air anyway, even if destined for a wired device. I should add that I haven't put a sniffer on mine to check for sure. This is of course assuming you don't have a separate wired router between the connection and the access point.

All my machines are on wired connections but I can't go as far as getting rid of the access point. Sure is handy being able to fire up the pocket pc and use the web browser.

Old 10-28-07, 03:50 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenearl View Post
The antennas should have the same alignment with each other. In other words, either both vertically or both horizontal.
As AxlMyk said, the antennas are optimized for horizontal gain at the expense of vertical gain. Typically this means 3dB more horizontal than vertical. This may not seem like a large number, but it translates to twice the power.

You're correct that the pattern is perpendicular to the shaft or whip, but alignment depends on usage. For example, having the antennas perpendicular to each other (on both H and V planes) might be the best arrangement for a two-story home that requires access on both floors. Another rule of thumb: Point the antennas where you want the least coverage.

Even then you might experience locations in your home where there is little or no signal. This is a due to a function of wavelength and distance that causes radiated waves in some locations to be reinforced while those in other locations are cancelled. Moving the laptop a few inches can make all the difference.

Also consider where the router is in relation to where the signal needs to be. 2.4gHz doesn't like to pass through glass, steel beams, reinforced concrete, metal ductwork, pipes, or even bundles of cables. Worse, these items can reflect waves and cause the "nulls" that cancel the signal. If you can "see" the antenna on a direct line-of-sight through wood and drywall, you should be okay.