Cheap computers

Old 10-09-07, 05:53 PM
2x2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cheap computers

I suppose there is nothing wrong with getting a very inexpensive computer..If you are limited just to surfing & email eh?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-07, 05:57 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
just be careful that the quality is not what is making it so cheap.

Not having a terrabyte hardrive and 2 gb of ram etc., is not so needed when doing simple tasks but having a dependable and manuf supported machine is still just as important as with the big bucks machines.(i.e. a good warranty and manuf tech support)

Old 10-09-07, 06:10 PM
T
You may end up buying less of a computer than you may want in a few months or year. If all you do is surf, email, and do some word processing, then you might get by.

Read this article about buying cheap computers:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...ne/P119340.asp

Old 10-10-07, 05:54 AM
P
2x2,
Have you ever considered "Building" your own computer?
If you do some research, and follow up with some power shopping on the internet to find sales and deals on parts, you might be able to build your own powerful, yet cheap computer.

If you don't feel comfortable building one yourself; maybe you can get a friend or family member who is knowledgeable to give you a hand!

Other than my notebook, I haven't bought a desktop computer in over 12 years...........I've assembled them from components that I've purchased locally and from the internet.

In my case, I didn't build my computers necessarily to save money, I did it to build a computer with the specs that I have in mind; and to build it with the level of quality that I decide, not that the manufacturer decides.

It's really not that difficult to do........most everything simply plugs in and has a specific connector so you can't really mix things up.
Still, if you've never done it, you need to do some reading!
Just do a "Google" search and type in "Build Your Own Computer"
Good luck!
Phil

Old 10-10-07, 07:19 AM
2x2
busy on various message boards

I hear what your saying but I'm too busy on various message boards trying too keep up with what the Jones are doing huh lol !

Last edited by twelvepole; 10-10-07 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Quote deleted. No need to quote entire post to reply.
Old 10-10-07, 04:25 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 64 Posts
Buddy of mine is getting ready to build my next computer and we've started pricing it out. Spendy, but it will be exactly what I want.

Old 10-10-07, 05:48 PM
I don't think building your own computer will save you any money.

Only reason you would want to build your own is if you have a specific need for a machine geared toward a specific tasks.

Example: I just recently built a machine for my SO, used mainly for video editing.
Very pricey.

Jim

Oh BTW, if you build one from the ground up, don't you also have to purchase the OS

Old 10-10-07, 06:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by jmnew51 View Post
Oh BTW, if you build one from the ground up, don't you also have to purchase the OS
Depends if you keep the old machine.. If I trash out one computer to build another, I'll be darned if I'm going to buy another license.

Old 10-11-07, 04:35 AM
R
You can legally transfer a Windows license bought at retail (non-oem) to a new computer if you destroy the old computer. With the newer operating systems (XP and Vista) you may have to get Microsoft involved if the license refuses to validate. You cannot do this with an oem license.

Old 10-11-07, 09:52 PM
I think you save money building it yourself, if you do a pound for pound comparison. I just built one for about $700. that I would say would run about $1000 from the mass market (dell, compeaq, etc), and $1200 on up for the better but smaller manufacturers. Of course you have to watch for sales on parts too.

Old 10-12-07, 05:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 64 Posts
I think the problem with comparing building your own to buying is that you'll buy lower quality and performance than you'll build. I am looking at higher cost for the one about to be built because I'm upgrading a lot of the parts compared to what I'd buy already put together.

Old 10-12-07, 05:57 AM
R
What everybody forgets when they build their own is to factor in the labor cost. If you had to pay yourself at a reasonable cost for labor for the time you spent in researching, purchasing, building, installing software on, and performing "warranty" work, the cost of your built computer easily exceeds the cost of a purchased computer.

Now I agree, time spent doing something you enjoy doing and the learning experience count for something, but you still can't ignore the labor cost when making a comparison.

Old 10-12-07, 08:04 AM
2x2
surfing

Like I don't have to have a printer scanner I can go to our local library and do some print outs from my photohost
I have various stuff uploaded to my photohost like resume
some files & such...they way I see it a inexpensive computer
will work faster if un burdened with a bunch of software etc
keep it simple of course it's differant if you must do a lot of print outs eh?same with a digital camera I could take it to local library and upload my photos right from the camera(I'd have to inquire about that-it might not work?remains to be seen)well anyway thats my two bits worth

Old 10-12-07, 06:41 PM
Racraft,
You're right. Of course for some it may not be the enjoyment, but to get more for what they can afford. When I was younger, I worked on my own cars because I could, not cause I liked it. Repacked wheel bearings, changed water pumps, and alternators, etc. I had more time than money. Now I'd rather do what I do to make money, and pay the mechanic to what he does.

I imagine, no, I know from others, that for some it has a lot to do with affordability.

Old 10-13-07, 09:36 AM
2x2
selective start

Another way of speeding up a computer is by selective start up..just go to run then type in msconfig that click off selective start this avoids the stat up items