problem installing a printer

Old 10-20-07, 08:24 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
problem installing a printer

I just purchased a new lexmark 2550 series printer. I tried to install it but no luck. I spoke to lexmark twice no success. disabled nortons and firewalls. It printed a test page but won't print a document, even from wordpad. At a loss. had no problem installing printers before. After the second chat with lexmark they said they would have to contact me later because the person figured it had something to do with a registry problem and they wern't trained to do that. Any suggestions would be appeciated. This is the second printer so i don't believe the problem lies with the printer.HELP please before this printer grows wings and ends up out in the garden>
Thanks in advance
isetheby

Old 10-20-07, 09:50 PM
G
What method of installation?

When you say you installed this printer, what exactly did you do?

And shall we assume you are using WindowsXP?

Most printers these days ask you to first install the software they come with on the included CD before you actually attach the USB cable to your computer tower.

I've found that this is often because of two things:

(1) WindowsXP will try and often load its own device driver from a list of preloaded 'acceptable' drivers when it senses a new device attached to the mobo... and these drivers are not always the most up-to-date or correct versions.

(2) It gives the vendor (HP, Lexmark, Epson) the chance to load your system with extra garbage in addition to the printer driver! (a simple *.inf file...)

I ran into this problem on a computer I got called to... had to remove as much of the CD-supplied driver as I could (and the printer didn't run after installation from the CD anyway...) and then went to the vendor's site and downloaded a version of the printer driver that was listed as "just the driver, please."

Hmmm.

Put the self-extracting executable file in a file folder on the Desktop, then ran it. After I ran it, I connected the printer's USB cable and continued on with the supplied instructions.

Then I deleted the printer driver zip file from the desktop. You could also move that file (the driver) into another folder somewhere else to your liking.

Old 10-20-07, 10:16 PM
T
Just installed an HP LaserJet 3050 and a USRobotics Modem. When the techs wore me out, I finally requested a Level II Technician. Everything is successfully installed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: