Can't connect to internet

Old 11-16-07, 06:24 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Can't connect to internet

I'm using IE7, Cablevision and a wireless router. I turn the modem off overnight. Most mornings, after turning on the modem, I can't connect to the Internet on either my direct connected desktop or wireless notebook. I find that by disconnecting the wireless router for 30 seconds and then reconnecting allows me to connect to the Internet. What and where is the problem? Thanks for your help.....John

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-07, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I ask why you are turning off the modem (assume cable modem) every night? I would say that doing this is most likely causing these issues.

Old 11-16-07, 07:13 AM
R
Several connections are involved in your setup.

The modem connects to the ISP and a connection is made.

The router connects to the modem and a connection is made.

Each PC connects to the router and a connection is made.

When you interrupt the connection, which you are doing by turning off the modem, it must be re-established when the connection is once again intact.

If the interruption is short enough, the devices usually can weather the glitch. However, when the connection is longer the connection is lost.

Sometimes nothing exists to automatically detect the broken connection and remake it.

Perhaps your modem or your router need a firmware upgrade. Perhaps your PCs need an operating system patch.

Anyway, you should expect that you have to turn the router off and back on when the power to the modem is restored, and then be pleasantly surprised if find you don't have to.

By the way, I too am curious as to why you are doing this.

Old 11-16-07, 12:13 PM
This is fairly normal. I won't go into boring details but it likely has to do with the DHCP leases. Unfortunately because my provider is so unreliable I have to deal with powering off my routers quite a bit.

Looks like you're leaving the wireless router on? And just shutting off the cable modem? In that case yes you will need to reboot the router after the cable modem has synced up so it gets the new DHCP lease. You might be able to do with via a web browser too; check the manual. Easier just to reboot it.

Often times when playing this power-off game your machines still will not be able to connect at times.

In these cases aside from rebooting the computer you have two options:
1: Go into Settings | Network connections. Right click the connection and select Repair. Never tried this: I usually just just fully Disable/Enable. That is the best surefire option but it does take a moment.
2: Run the command: ipconfig /renew

It makes little sense to switch these devices off. It can't be for energy conservation because you are leaving your computers on. From a security standpoint it also makes no sense because these nasties (software AND neighbors) can just use your connection during the day. I can't think of any other reason one would turn it off.

-core

Old 11-16-07, 01:00 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Thanks John, racraft and core.........I'm going to try the suggestions. I turn the modem off because someone told me years ago to turn it off when not using it to protect the computer from viruses etc. If what you are telling me is indeed the problem, why has it only been happening in the last few months? The setup and my actions have been the same for the last year.

Old 11-16-07, 01:17 PM
Hmmm... that's new info. As for why that is, I do not have a good answer.

Only thing I can think of is your ISP has changed the DHCP lease times. It may be that it used to be on the order of days, and now they have reduced it to 8 hours. So now on most mornings your cable modem gets a new IP address and gateway, where previously it did not.

Here's one other possibility: For example my ISP the lease time is calculated on a graduating type of system. The first time you connect it's only valid for 2 hours. If you're still there after that time they'll give you one valid for 96 hours. If those numbers were different, say 24hours/96hours, I can see a situation where forgetting to turn it off one night would lock you into the same settings basically for a long time. But then just once go on vacation for 4 days and you're back to the daily shuffle.

Probably making this sound more complicated than it is. But it's all I can think of for why this would have just crept up in the last months without any changes on your part.

At any rate, just leave the thing on. Turning it off for security reasons makes as much sense as only locking your doors on even numbered days of the month. That is not the solution.

-core

Old 11-16-07, 01:44 PM
R
A better solution than turning off the modem is turning off the computers.

Leave the modem and router on, just turn off the computers.

Old 11-17-07, 11:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If nothing else, push the "Standby" button on the router.