Thinking of Getting Rid of Norton Antivirus

Old 11-18-07, 04:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thinking of Getting Rid of Norton Antivirus

It really puts a drag on my computers performance. I'd like to switch to a free AV program like AVG. Would this be a dumb move? Would I get adequate protection?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-07, 05:39 AM
Getting a resource hog like Norton off your computer and switching to the free AVG may be the best thing you ever did. I did and it proved a win/win for me.

bs5

I hope it's Ok that I called Norton a computer resource hog. I'm really just saying it like it is and I stand by my findings. Norton hogs resources as an anti virus epecially when compared to AVG. I think there has been plenty of user experience confirming these findings.

Old 11-18-07, 05:40 AM
I have long been a fan of programs such as AVG and Avast because they are quite effective and don't hog resources in the computer in the manner of Norton Anti-Virus. Between them, Avast is my favorite.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-18-07, 05:56 AM
I got rid of Norton too. It wasn't only the resource usage; what I REALLY hated were those darn notifications constantly!

"Your virus protection has been updated"
"Urgent action needed - auto updates are set to download only"

I mean really. It was out of hand. And that was with everything turned off that could be turned off.

Old 11-18-07, 06:04 AM
I'm not sure that Resource Hog is the proper term. Norton certainly uses resources, but it provides many services for the resources it uses. It is not, however suited for computers with minimal memory to start with.

I too got rid of Norton. Not for the resources or memory used, but because I too got tired of the constant messages about my Windows updates being set differently than they wanted them to be, etc.

As for protection, I don't think you can beat Norton. I think you can equal it, but Norton is certainly one of those at the top of the pack.

It's too bad they let themselves get carried away with the we know better then you do attitude.

Old 11-18-07, 06:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No, they got it right. Norton is a resource hog. Not only that, it installs itself so deep into the system, it is difficult getting it out.

I use AVG and am happy with it.

Old 11-18-07, 06:19 AM
Wow, thanks for the quick responses! I am thrilled at the prospect of getting rid of Norton ... like getting another job and losing a big, fat, overbearing boss.

Is it going to be tough to purge my system of Norton? Not a simple remove from the add/remove program?

Old 11-18-07, 06:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
After uninstalling it, delete the directory it created. Reboot.
You will need to use a registry cleaner to clean the registry. I use Registry Mechanic. There may be others, but I bought the program and am pleased with it. www.pctools.com
Crap Cleaner is another good one. www.ccleaner.com

Old 11-18-07, 06:53 AM
The newest versions of Norton remove with simply their uninstall.

The reason people complain so much is because it does leave items around to prevent you from reinstalling "for free".

Old 11-18-07, 08:55 PM
Norton

Go to the symantec site and get their removal tool. As was said earlier in this thread it imbeds itself rather deeply in the system.. My suggestion would be Nod32 its not free but I think it is worth it. As far as free Avast or Avira are good choices.

Old 11-19-07, 11:07 AM
I'm using Symantec AV 10 from work on all my home computers with no problems. Not to much of a resource hog and no annoying popups etc.

Old 11-20-07, 11:37 PM
Norton is part of Symantec. Not sure how different it could be.

Old 11-21-07, 05:52 AM
The business software, Symantec, is very different from the home version.

The business version is meant to be administered by an administrator who deals with looking at the logs, configuring the updates, and all the mundane tasks that the users may not even realize they should be doing.

Many home users have no clue about their systems and the home version, Norton, is written to tell them as much as possible, make it as easy as possible for them. and do as much as possible for them.

While it may be legal in some situations to use the business version at home, it loses most of it's reporting capabilities and updates are much harder when not in contact with it's server, which is on a domain controller at the business.

Old 11-21-07, 06:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
I initially got rid of Norton not because of it being a resource hog, but because I suddenly couldn't download updates one day. Been very happy with AVG since.

Old 11-21-07, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
The business software, Symantec, is very different from the home version.

While it may be legal in some situations to use the business version at home, it loses most of it's reporting capabilities and updates are much harder when not in contact with it's server, which is on a domain controller at the business.
My employer has an agreement where we can use the software on our home rigs. The virus definitions update every day just like at work.