RAM question

Old 11-25-07, 09:09 PM
C
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
RAM question

My motherboard manual says it uses DDR SDRAM in PC2700, PC2100, or PC1600. Am I restricted to those, or can I also use PC3200?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-07, 05:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Sometimes memory is adjusted after the computer is manufactured, so it is difficult to tell. Try www.memory.com to see what type memory is compatible with your unit.

Old 11-26-07, 08:53 AM
C
I'm the manufacturer, in this case!

My son and I are building a pc from parts, and the RAM module we have seems to be fried so I'm buying more. I was cruising around on EBay and about to close the deal on an auction, but noticed the item was PC3200. So I was wondering if this is one of those deals where I >could< use the PC3200 on this motherboard but wouldn't be able to use it to its fullest potential, or something like that.

It's a moot point now because I bought some PC2100 ram, but it would be nice to know for future reference.

Thanks for your response!
Dave O

Old 11-26-07, 01:18 PM
BSB
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
More often than not, what the manual memory compatibility/configuration list shows what will only work with the mother board. Some motherboard manufactures can also restrict the brand of memory used (not sure how that is done...) my ASUS will take PC3200 but will not boot with working PC3200 generic memory.

There are exceptions, but to save time, money and your sanity, stick with the motherboard documentation when it comes to memory.

Old 11-26-07, 03:07 PM
C
Thanks

I'll have to check out the memory module we already have- if it is not on the manual's list of acceptable ram, maybe it's not fried after all.

Thanks for your post!
Dave O