Run 2 mail clients?

Old 11-28-07, 08:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Run 2 mail clients?

Does anybody know if you can run 2 different mail clients, at the same time, for different email addresses? For instance Outlook and Mulberry or Thunderbird. I'd like to be able to check mail all the time for 2 different addresses.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-07, 03:52 AM
Originally Posted by Integrator97 View Post
Does anybody know if you can run 2 different mail clients, at the same time, for different email addresses? For instance Outlook and Mulberry or Thunderbird. I'd like to be able to check mail all the time for 2 different addresses.
Integrator,
I do it on my computers with XP and Windows 2000; in fact I run four different email clients. Not by choice, it just worked out that way because of my job and my wifes job.

We run Outlook, Outlook Express, Netscape email and Thunderbird. Outlook is used solely by my wife because she syncs her "Pocket PC" to Outlook so she uses the email.

She also uses Netscape email because that's what they use in her office and she can access her desktop computer from our home computer using Citrix Metaframe.

We have Thunderbird set up a couple of personal "domain" names we purchased and then I use Outlook Express solely for a website that I administrate.
Phil

Old 11-29-07, 06:34 AM
You can run as many mail clients as you want. The POP3 and IMAP protocols both have the client contacting the server (much like a web browser) which doesn't require a mail client to monopolize a particular port.

Although unless you have a good reason to do that I would think it might be more convenient for you to configure your favorite client to just check both addresses in the first place.

Old 11-29-07, 06:34 AM
Received 67 Votes on 62 Posts
You don't need two email clients to check two email adresses. You can use one email client to check multiple email addresses. At least I can with Eudora.

Old 11-29-07, 06:39 AM
You can but as said you can check multiple addresses with one client (I have four on Outlook). Note that if you check the same address with two different clients, you have to leave the messages on the server to see all mail with both clients - otherwise the first client to download a set of messages gets those messages, and the other client checking the server will never get a chance to see them. I was checking my mail remotely with a web client while traveling, and our friend/house sitter turned on my PC at home which downloaded all the mail to the PC, so I never got a chance to read those messages until I got home. Does that make sense?

Old 11-29-07, 11:10 AM
OK. One thing I didn't make clear, so just to double check. I want them both open at the same time, minimized or whatever. My outlook is set up to receive every 5 minutes. I know you can have multiple accounts in outlook, but only one open at a time at far as I know.

So are you all saying I can have 2 open at a time, with say outlook and thunderbird or whatever? I want to keep them seperated, and reply from the respective accounts.

logcabincook, yes I am aware of what you're saying. I check mine on the server at night & weekends, and download to outlook at work.
Thanks all.

Old 11-29-07, 03:28 PM
Received 67 Votes on 62 Posts
I guess I am unclear of exactly what you want.
With Eudora I can have multiple email addresses from multiple providers. It can check them all at any interval you set. You can reply from any account. It will default to the Dominant account but you can select which account you reply from by clicking on the FROM button.

Old 11-29-07, 04:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may have as many e-mail clients open as you like. Windows will allow one instance of each program, unless you install the program multiple times, in different directories.

Other OSs, (Unix, Linux, OS2) will allow the same program to run multiple times.

Old 11-29-07, 05:11 PM
Actually Windows has nothing to do with it.

[It's quite a coincidence that right this second I'm writing a program to force Nero to allow 10 open copies of itself.]

If an application wants to limit itself to one instance it has to go out of its way to do so. One approach they use is to create a mutex. If the second instance sees that this mutex has already been created it can display a message then exit.

During this time there are two instances running. It's just that the second one is choosing to only display a message, or alternatively activate the first instance.

Installing the software in different directory, renaming the .exe, all those will NOT get around the mutex approach. If they used a primative file locking approach, then sure.

Blame the companies who made the software who spent EXTRA time preventing you from starting two instances, but do not blame the OS.

-core

P.S. One way that _nearly_ always works, even if they were nasty about it, is to right click the .exe and select "Run as...". Enter the username and password of a different account on your machine. You will need to create one account for each instance you want.

Old 11-29-07, 05:28 PM
Integrator it sounds like you want to monitor multiple email accounts in the same window but have the capability to send/reply messages from individual accounts. Yes you can do this in Outlook. The catch is you need to remember to select Send > From accountname. You can have one default (say work email address) but if you want to send from another address (say personal) you have to remember to select that email account to send from. However if you reply to an email in a particular account, the response will automatically use the account assigned email address. Does that make sense? (substitute prior response's icon's coffee with a glass of wine )

Old 11-29-07, 08:58 PM
Thanks all. I think I've got it. I think, for me, the easiest thing would be to run 2 seperate programs. Otherwise I'm bound to forget to change the address I'm replying or sending from. I get kinda busy sometimes, for instance today I was in the middle of an email, had someone on my headset on the landline, had my cell up to my ear and also had someone standing next to me wanting something. I ain't that good.