Dell Printer Ink

Old 12-01-07, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Dell Printer Ink

I have a Dell all in one Printer, 966. Would anyone know if ink is available through any sellers other than Dell? Their pricing is steep!

Old 12-01-07, 11:51 AM
R
Go to the web sites and find out. Just about all of them have listings of printers and will give you the information you seek.

Old 12-01-07, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 129 Posts
Staples sells it, but not sure how much they charge.

Old 12-01-07, 12:06 PM
The best price iv'e found has been at Costco. Maybe sam's club,B.J.'s. I haven't found any other stores with price breaks.

Old 12-01-07, 01:17 PM
R
Note that I do not recommend third party ink under any circumstances. I only recommend OEM ink.

Old 12-01-07, 02:20 PM
P
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Note that I do not recommend third party ink under any circumstances. I only recommend OEM ink.
Agreed; I've seen re-manufactured toner cartridges do some nasty things to expensive machines!

I don't get it.....people will buy brand name copy machines or printers and then instead of using OEM toner or ink, they look for cheap imitations that end up making a mess inside their machines!
Phil

Old 12-01-07, 04:15 PM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My own equipment:
HP Deskjet 640c

Purchased 5 HP color cartridges so far.
All of them dried up before being empty.

Purchased 3 refilled color cartridges so far.
All of them worked till empty.
None of them dried out, and have lasted longer than OEM.
None of them have messed up the printer.

Old 12-02-07, 03:24 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I bought a $40 refill kit from an online vendor six years ago (for a $100 Epson color ink jet). It came with the little chip resetter. I've refilled the original cartridges at least twice a year since then and still have about half of each ink bottle left.

The one mistake I did make was to buy two off-brand cartridges (color and black) so I could swap out refills as needed. The off-brands lasted through only one cycle before they stopped working.

Old 12-02-07, 06:39 AM
Smile

Thanks for your input. As always, DIY.com comes through. My biggest gripe with this new printer is the size of the cartridges. My old HP printer had large cartrides and this Dell966 can only take ones that are less than half the size but the price is the same! I'm gonna' take a shot of the aftermarket

Old 12-02-07, 09:23 AM
P
Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
My own equipment:
HP Deskjet 640c

Purchased 5 HP color cartridges so far.
All of them dried up before being empty.

Purchased 3 refilled color cartridges so far.
All of them worked till empty.
None of them dried out, and have lasted longer than OEM.
None of them have messed up the printer.
oneofamill,
Honestly, Yours is an exception to the rule and you should consider yourself lucky!

It is true that on occasion you will find a bad OEM cartridge. But, over the long haul; if you continue to use re-manufactured or what the re-sellers call "compatibles" it's only a matter of time before those products will mess up your machine in one way or another!

But hey, it's your money......spend it any way you want!
Phil

Old 12-02-07, 09:42 AM
O
We also have 3 Canons, 2 Epsons, and 2 more HPs in the office. None of them have failed because of refilled cartridges in the last 4 years. Hardly an exception to the rule.

Old 12-02-07, 03:10 PM
P
Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
We also have 3 Canons, 2 Epsons, and 2 more HPs in the office. None of them have failed because of refilled cartridges in the last 4 years. Hardly an exception to the rule.
oneofamill,
Copier and laser printer manufactures have their own formula for toner; and the electronics of their machines are set for that formula. Furthermore, they don’t share that formula. When you use a refilled toner it sends the machine out of spec, and it usually starts to go down hill slowly from there. The machine tries to compensate and many times can not. What you end up with is: "a slow kill"

That is one of the reasons why, when you open a machine that has been using refilled toner it is a much bigger mess than a machine running factory toner.

Machines running refilled toner cartridges or “Compatibles” generally do not have as long of a service life as machines that run OEM toner cartridges. That’s a fact!
Phil

Old 12-02-07, 06:23 PM
O
My own experience has shown otherwise.

Old 12-02-07, 06:36 PM
R
We do not need an argument or even a discussion on whether or not third party ink or toner; or remanufactured tanks or cartridges; or refilling your own tanks is a good idea or a bad idea.

There are plenty of people who have good experiences and plenty of people who have bad experiences. Some people swear by them, others won't touch them.

Everyone who buys a printer has to decide for his or herself what is best.

Old 12-02-07, 09:08 PM
One thing nobody has said, is that it's probably a rebadged printer with the Dell name. They don't usually make their own printers. So figure out who (lexmark, canon, etc) makes it, and what their model is.

Also, besides OEM and refills, I think you can get pretty reliable refills from the 3 major office supply stores under their house brand, which isn't remanufactured cartridges, for most popular models.

Old 12-03-07, 04:02 AM
P
Originally Posted by Integrator97 View Post
One thing nobody has said, is that it's probably a rebadged printer with the Dell name. They don't usually make their own printers.
Integrator,
I don't know who makes Dell Printers but I do know you cannot use anything but Dell toner in Dell laser printers. Non-OEM toner will not work in Dell Machines.

We have about 12 Dell 1720 laser printers in our building and several of the offices tried to buy aftermarket toners and they wouldn't even print in these printers. They had to be returned!
Dell is very proprietary in that sense.......

Ink machines might be different? You probably can put anything in ink printers. I haven't used an ink machine in several years but can say for sure; lasers are very sensitive to toner and if it's not the right formulation for the machine, it will cause problems in the long run.

Most home users probable don't understand that because they don't run their machines like we do in an office setting. In a home, you might make one or to copies or print one or two pages every now and then. In an office, the printer/copier is practically running non-stop.

This may sound funny, but in an office setting, we can't afford to buy the cheaper refilled toners. Machine maintenance would eat-up the saving of using the less expensive toner no-time!
Phil

Old 12-04-07, 02:56 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Please note that my post pertained to ink jet printer ink refills and not toner carts. I've had very bad luck with 3rd-party toner carts.

The reason Dell only works with Dell probably has something to do with proprietary codes embedded in the toner carts.

Old 12-04-07, 12:06 PM
P
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
Please note that my post pertained to ink jet printer ink refills and not toner carts.
Rick,
I also just noticed the original question had to do with ink; not toner!

Phil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: