Deleting Shortcut Key "ctrl+w"?

Old 12-02-07, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deleting Shortcut Key "ctrl+w"?

Hello: Does anyone know if and how this can be done? I am using windows xp home edition! The keys that I want to disable are the ctrl+w shortcut Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-07, 02:39 PM
[Note to readers: This will close your Firefox tab if you try it whilst you are reading this]

tomtom, when you say disable shortcut key what exactly do you mean? For which application? The method for disabling it in Firefox (if there's even a way) would be quite different than disabling it for say Windows Live Messenger.

Give us the details on precisely what you are trying to do and we might be able to come up with a solution.

Old 12-02-07, 04:08 PM
Ok, Here is what is happening, when I am on say yahoo IE email composing screen and finish writting an email, I then like to highlight it and copy it by using using the ctrl+A keys, but sometimes my aim is off and I press the ctrl+W keys instead. When this happens I loose the entire email and have to start over again.
I know there are other ways to highlight the text but I prefer this way, but If I cannot find a solution I will then use a different way!
I thought maybe there was a registry hack or something to disable or remove this shortcut? Any Idea's on this? Thanks, Tom PS: I have firefox but dont use it much!!!

Old 12-02-07, 04:41 PM
Your best bet is to not focus on the shortcut key, but closing windows on the whole.

What you want is a "warn before closing window" option. Which is not present in my version of IE (6)... don't know about IE7. You should be able to find an addon which does this for you, once again if you stop focusing on the keystroke and instead search for something which always prompts you, even if you click the 'X'.

Old 12-02-07, 07:44 PM
Core: Good Point, I will look into it, Thanks

Old 12-03-07, 05:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ctrl W is hard coded into IE. There is nothing you can do to change that, other than re-write the program.

Old 12-03-07, 05:50 AM
Or change a single byte with a hex editor, which _might_ be faster than the 'only' option of "re-writing the program". If there was only 1 version of IE I'd have gladly just posted instructions for him.

Perhaps some of those qualified personnel could help the original poster out?

Old 12-03-07, 06:26 AM
use the mouse to highlight instead

Old 12-03-07, 06:57 AM
quote>> use the mouse to highlight instead

Thats what I will do from now on I guess, but on the yahoo email composing screen, you can right click and Select all to Highlight BUT the right click does NOT have the option to Copy?

Funny thing I Select ALL in the subject of the email it will highlight and the drop down menu will have the option to Copy

But not the email itself, thats strange.

Any idea's on how to get to it to show "Copy" on the dropdown menu in the email itself?? Thanks

Old 12-03-07, 07:09 AM
In application programs, keyboard shortcuts, application menus and pop up menus are at the discretion of the software developer. While some developers may build in the option for you to customize the shortcuts and menus, most do not. Generally speaking, you are stuck with what they give you.

Old 12-03-07, 07:09 AM
Regardless of the method used to select the text (Ctrl+A, mouse, anything), Ctrl+C should still work to copy, if it did for you before. That 'C' is quite a ways away from your evil W so I think you're fairly safe there.

Old 12-03-07, 10:25 AM
Ok, I think I will have to start using the ctrl+C as suggested, Thank you All very much, Tom