Old 12-03-07, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dvd Burner Testing

Is there a way to test the integrity of a DVD Burner

waynf

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-07, 05:31 PM
What do you mean, exactly? Many burners have a "self-test" feature which I find just about worthless unless you think your burner has a serious problem.

There are software tools you can use to burn a test disc and then check for jitter and whatever else you'd like. (Nero DVD Speed is one.)

It all depends on what exactly you're trying to find out?

Old 12-03-07, 06:10 PM
Dvd Burner Testing

Well basically I am trying to zero in on a particular problem related to dvd burning.

I have tried to burn a movie on a cd-wr as a cd video, but afterwords it wouldn't even open up on my Daytek DVD player. I thought at first it might be the disc which has been used quite a few times, so I burned some jpegs on a CD-R, but only two of the photos turned up on the menu of my Daytek Player.

But when I return both discs to my Windows XP Pro "D" drive and open them all the data is definitely there, the movie on one and all 39 pics on the CD-R.

So I am trying to zero in on the problem here, is it the discs, is it the fact that I burned a movie on a CD, as opposed to a DVD-R or DVD-RW, or can the problem be with the burner itself.

I hope this helps.

waynf

Old 12-03-07, 07:06 PM
Hmmm... back in the "old days" before I had a DVD burner I burned _quite_ a few VCDs and SVCDs, but I'm unfamiliar with the term "video cd" as it relates to jpg's. Did some experimenting with Kodak Photo CD format but doesn't sound like this is what you're burning.

The problem with burning nonstandard discs like this is you are going to have compatibility issues. This is the case whether you are burning picture CDs, mp3 CDs, AVIs, or whatever. Players can be VERY picky. For example I attempted to burn an mp3 CD destined for my mother's DVD player. Most of the mp3s did not play, and after some investigation [reading the manual] I discovered the bitrate had to be exactly 192, etc.

With your photo situation it could be that the photos have to be a certain size, and only two of them on that disc met that criteria.

So I'm leaning towards it's not your burner, it's not your disc, it is the player. If you get out your player's instruction manual you may be able to ascertain what it wants and adjust your authoring software accordingly, or resize the images yourself.

Other than that, I'm afraid I can't be of much more help as I do not mess with these nonstandard disc formats anymore.

It's just not worth it because when your player craps out and you buy another one you might not be read able to view your old discs. With such limited compatibility you might as well just leave the photos on your hard drive.

Edit: Hmmm after re-reading your post I see that the JPG thing may have just been a secondary test, and you were first trying to burn a VCD or SVCD? If so most of this reply won't even apply. But for testing definitely limit yourself to standard VCD format if that's what you want -- don't mess with the JPGs as that just clouds the issue.

Old 12-04-07, 06:57 AM
Dvd Burner Testing

In reference to your question its a Video CD that I was trying to burn with Nero 7 Ultra.

Old 12-04-07, 07:41 AM
Ok, so it was a VCD you were trying to burn. Therefore the .jpg photo test that you later did, and which made up a large part of your post, had nothing to do with your original problem.

Do you know that your Daytek even plays VCDs? Did you try burning that same VCD to a CD-R instead of the rewriteable? (Yes I know you burned one CD-R but that was the silly jpg disc... TOTALLY different situation)

How long have you been burning this kind of stuff? Did it work before and now suddenly does not?

Or is this your first attempt at burning a VCD for that player?

I don't think there's anything wrong with your burner. Either your player doesn't do what you think it should do, or it is operator error during composition.

I'm just getting the feeling that you're dragging and dropping files without really understanding exactly what format your player expects, or even what kind of format you are creating.

If you need help learning how to create a certain type of disc that's a whole different question.