slow computer

Old 12-16-07, 03:00 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slow computer

My computer is acting up takes about 10-12 mins. just to start up ans get to my desk top. will respone ok for a couple mins and stop responding for 30 sec.s to a min. sometimes longer. did a scan no viruses. I was doing a Check disk and after onlt checking 15% already found serveral hundred "unreadablr segments" Does this mean my hd drive is almost dead?
Paul

Old 12-16-07, 03:38 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,178 Likes on 1,136 Posts
What OS and antivirus software are you using? Are you using any antispyware software?

Old 12-16-07, 04:04 PM
P
Win xp and I am using Charter internet security anti-virus

Old 12-16-07, 04:11 PM
R
So you aren't using anything for detecting and removing spyware? If not, why not?

Download and use spy-bot search and destroy and ad-aware.

Old 12-16-07, 04:52 PM
P
yes I do have spyware it is all part of Charter Security!

Old 12-16-07, 05:26 PM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by pallen View Post
I was doing a Check disk and after onlt checking 15% already found serveral hundred "unreadablr segments" Does this mean my hd drive is almost dead?
Paul
Pretty much it does.

Old 12-16-07, 07:56 PM
The extreme slowness you are experiencing may be due to hard disk reads being retried several times. If you listen closely you might even be able to hear unusual noises coming from the drive. That would be extremely bad. If you have not already done so back up your files now.

If it were me I would not switch off the computer until this is done. If your drive is physically going south then each time you power it off there is a chance the machine will not come up properly.

Old 12-16-07, 10:59 PM
H
Originally Posted by pallen View Post
My computer is acting up takes about 10-12 mins. just to start up ans get to my desk top. will respone ok for a couple mins and stop responding for 30 sec.s to a min. sometimes longer. did a scan no viruses. I was doing a Check disk and after onlt checking 15% already found serveral hundred "unreadablr segments" Does this mean my hd drive is almost dead?
Paul
Go to www.pcpitstop.com and take the tests. They are free, and they check everything and give you the reasons why your pc is slow and what you need to do to fix it. Forget the ads you see there, you don't have to buy a thing.

Old 12-20-07, 12:44 PM
W
wgc
ZoneAlert?

You're not specific with the security software you have, but in case one piece is ZoneAlert, that is a possibility. I had very similar symptoms and thought I had a hardware problem, but eventually found it as a known issue with ZoneAlert. When I uninstalled and repaired, the problem went away.

Of course I had already obtained a replacement drive and no longer trust that one as my primary, but as a second drive, it makes backups much faster than USB.

Also, I did reformat and that may be necessary for the repair. After reformatting the first time, I restored my system as-is and got the same issue: that's when I got the other disk drive. However when I uninstalled ZoneAlert, made a new backup, reformatted, and restored, it ran well. I didn't try all the possibilities, since the backups and restores were over USB and took forever.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: