vista network one way ping

Old 12-19-07, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vista network one way ping

Hello everyone, trying to help a buddy out here.
He has a wireless network with three computers attached all running Vista Home Premium. All three connect to the internet, all three see each other on their workgroup. Software settings for all three are the same (as far as sharing and what not). Computer A can ping computer B, computer B can ping A and both can share folders and resources between them. Computer C can ping A and B as well as use their resources. Neither computer A or B can ping computer C nor can they use any resource on computer C. Tried turning off windows firewall on A,B and C with no change.

In trying to run WindowsLive messenger computer will not connect , it says the 'Key Port' is the problem. I have no idea but it just seems all this is related. He just tried (I'm talking to him while typing this) connecting his computer directly to the modem (thereby eliminating the router as a problem), restarted both and tried messenger again getting the key port error. The internet did work though. Oh yea, a squad came out, charged over $150 and had no clue. Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-07, 06:54 PM
C
check to make sure the workgroup names match.

Old 12-19-07, 07:02 PM
That was one of my first thoughts too, he insists that they do.

Old 12-19-07, 07:12 PM
T
Do you have anti virus installed ?- My first experience with Vista Networking was complicated with the pre loaded Norton AV. It was blocking everything to do with the local lan.

This also kicked my butt pretty bad too on my son's Vista:

http://www.xoxideforums.com/networki...-server-2.html

Old 12-19-07, 07:55 PM
has Norton preloaded but has tried all this with both firewall and av disabled on computer C and A and B and says he spent 8 hours on the phone with the manufacturer. They are balking at taking the computer back because he doesn't have the original box (which was used to redeem the rebate).

Old 12-20-07, 05:07 AM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not to confuse the issue, but don't they need just the UPC label?

Old 12-20-07, 10:18 AM
That is what I thought but I think the original UPC was sent in for the rebate, that is what I had to do when I bought my last laptop. I spoke to him again and he said the company has decided to send him a box for him to ship the computer to them and they will try to fix it. Only seems fitting since it is well within warranty. I sure would have loved to figure this one out but thanks for the help everyone.

Old 12-21-07, 05:30 AM
BSB
If he is using the Ms Firewall (not sure how it's setup in Vista) are they setup the same for all three machines? Is this a new problem, or a new 3rd pc being connected? Might try to disable the MS firewall on the 3rd pc and see if the other two can get "in".