Virus Wont Let Me Do Anything On My Computer

Old 12-20-07, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Virus Wont Let Me Do Anything On My Computer

I am having a huge problem, I made the mistake of getting kapersky antivirus, even though I had Norton 360 which it suscks as well. I got Kaperskey,because 2 people told me that when I emailed them it would say I had a virus.Nortons never found anything.
I started to scan my computer with Kaperskey 7and started to fing all this virus that norton never said I had.

After a while of scanning, a message saying something of explorer.exe was wrong.

after it was suppost to fixed by kapersky, my computer shut down and when I turn back on everything was gone.I am using task manager to see if I could run nortons again but nothing, I noticed a owner I never seen in my system called user default.

Please help I work with this computer I have everything on there....
I can not access anything unless I do ctrl-alt-del and use task manager.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-07, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try getting into Safe Mode by pressing F8 when Windows starts to boot up. If you can get to your info, back it up. You may have to format and reinstall the OS.

Next time around try AVG anti virus. It's free @ www.free.grisoft.com

Old 12-20-07, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Satisfied AVG user as well.

Old 12-20-07, 05:39 PM
Can you get to another computer (local library?) and go to the Kaspersky web site and try to get some help from them.

Are you saying you are booting up to a desktop that has no icons on it? Can you be more descriptive and specific about your problem.

The reason I stopped trying out Kaspersky was because it wanted to do everything without my permission (deleting files, etc...) and also insisted on my uninstalling Norton antivirus.

Look for an antivirus program that gives you some manual control over actions taken, and that makes it easy to take control. (hint...it won't be AVG).

jc

Old 12-20-07, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by jbclem View Post
Look for an antivirus program that gives you some manual control over actions taken, and that makes it easy to take control. (hint...it won't be AVG).
jc
Many people here seem to like AVG.
Instead of saying "(hint...it won't be AVG)" why don't you come up with a suggestion?
All you're doing is confusing the issue.

Old 12-20-07, 06:33 PM
A format of the harddrive and a fresh install of the OS is usually easier these days then trying to figure out how to remove a virus/spyware.

Do you still have the original backup CD's?

Old 12-21-07, 12:03 PM
I couldnt even use my computer in save mode, I used an old lap top I had there and this is how Im getting online, I got the icons on the desktop.
On the Kaspersky, they say that this is a common thing and they tell you to back up what the stupid program said it was a virus, but now im in a worst situation
I believe now there is a serious virus, it has changed everything in my computer. I have no permissions, I sas things that I never download on the system. I just cant believe people can be so evil and do this.

I am trying to get help with experts reading a log hijack can someone help.....

Old 12-21-07, 03:19 PM
You didn't answer my question.

Do you have the backup CD's?

You will need to reformat and reload everything fresh.

Old 12-21-07, 03:55 PM
I have all the cds that came with the laptop when I bought it,If I reformat is everything (documents, files ecct) going to be erased?

Old 12-22-07, 05:30 AM
Lizzy, don't reformat your computer unless you don't mind loosing everything on it. There are other things that can be done but it might take time, and some effort...worth it if you have data that you need to save.

First, you need to give a specific explanation as to the problem. What do you mean by you turned on the computer and "everything was gone". What is "everything"? Do you mean all the icons on the desktop? Do you get error messages when you try to start up programs from Task Manager...if so , post the error message(s).

Second, if you have data to save you need to access your hard drive somehow. You can do this in several ways: install a new OS on another partition and then boot into it then access the rest of the hard drive from the new OS; buy or borrow another hard drive and add it to your computer...install an OS (WinXP, Win2000 whatever you like) on it and boot into it; get a boot floppy disk that will boot into DOS, copy out important files(limited by floppy disk size).

Once you have access, via a new OS installation or a new hard drive, then you can try to fix the problem (was explorer.exe deleted?). Or just start all over from the new OS...and you still have access to your important data files.

Third, I use Win2000 so not that familiar with XP, but don't you have a Restore function that you can use by booting from the original CD's...I don't know if the CD's from a different installation will work, but you have nothing to lose at this point so either try them or ask on a forum if you can use them. Also look for boot disks at:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Also, for a $10 repair CD that might fix the problem try:

http://www.eddiemaintenance.com/

Fourth, since you have internet access, there are many forums where you can search and ask for technical help, just google "troubleshooting XP"...go through them until you find an identical situation. Or google "desktop corrupted" or "desktop icons missing"...or what ever the problem is . I often find someone with the identical problem I have and sometimes the solution. The key is to be able to accurately describe the problem.

Reformating the computer is a solution only if you have no important data and you're in a hurry. The other way takes lots of your time, but you learn a lot in the process. Remember that when you reformat the computer, you're still going to spend a lot of time re-installing all the programs you use.

Hope this helps a bit...

jc

Old 12-22-07, 07:35 PM
Some more ideas:

The "user default" you mentioned, could it be a new profile created by WinXP for some reason. Have you tried it, or tried making a new profile to see if the computer will start normally under it. Can you do this during the XP bootup?

For help with HiJack This, try the Major Geeks forum:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38752

Old 12-22-07, 10:53 PM
It's not a Virus, Kapersky itself attacked you.

See the following news article. I would contact them to fix things. After all, they broke it.

Kaspersky inadvertently quarantines Windows Explorer
A false positive in company's antivirus products leads to quarantine or deletion of some Windows users' copies of explorer.exe.

By David Meyer
Special to CNET News.com

Published: December 21, 2007, 6:04 AM PST
TalkBackE-mailPrint del.icio.us Digg this

Windows Explorer, one of the most crucial components of Microsoft's operating system, was quarantined earlier this week after being falsely identified as malicious code by an antivirus company.

Users of Kaspersky Lab's antivirus products noticed the issue, which Kaspersky claimed lasted two hours, on Wednesday night.

The security company's systems had decided that a virus called Huhk-C was present in the explorer.exe file, leading to its confinement or, in some cases, deletion. As Windows Explorer is the graphical user interface (GUI) for Windows' file system, this made it difficult to perform many common tasks within the operating system, such as finding files.

David Emm, a senior technology consultant at Kaspersky Lab, told ZDNet UK on Friday that the company was still examining its checklist to find out why the false positive "slipped through the net."

"This is classic false-alarm territory," Emm said. "We will check through our systems and see if we can tighten them up so we don't run into this problem in the future. No antivirus company, including ourselves, can say they have never had a false alarm, (but) on all fronts, we do what we can to minimize any potential risk for our customers."

Emm pointed out that Kaspersky adds about 3,000 records per week to its database, demonstrating the "scale of the issue, in terms of testing procedures."

The "offending signature" went out at around 7 p.m. on Wednesday, according to Emm, who claimed that it was pulled two hours later in a "makeshift" attempt to limit the damage while Kaspersky examined the signature.

"We proactively went out to our enterprise customers to make them aware there was this potential issue," Emm said. "Only one corporate customer (in the U.K.) encountered this problem, as well as a handful of home users." He added that users who have not changed their default settings would have found explorer.exe to be only quarantined, rather than deleted.

In March of this year, Kaspersky criticized Microsoft's consumer antivirus product, OneCare, for incorrectly quarantining and, in some cases, deleting Microsoft Outlook files.

David Meyer of ZDNet UK reported from London.

Old 12-23-07, 08:41 AM
One more stab at this thing

Amidst all of these fine suggesstions let metry but one more.

1: Part of the corruption problem in addition to having a virus may stem from the fact that you had more than one anti-viirus on this laptop in the first place. An Antivirus program hates all other anti-virus programs.

2: Somebody suggested tapping the F8 key at boot and entering Windows using "SafeMode". Try rebooting once again and tapping F8, The screen you eventually arrive arrive at also offers (in addition to safe mode) "last known working configuration"......try restoring your computer to this last known working configuration then see if you can. Now, boot back into Windows and turn up "System Restore" Start button>all programs>accessories folder> system tools > system restore. Pick a date prior to the invasion of virus and restore. Don't worry, it will not harm personal data or user files.

If that temporarily allows for some stability per haps you ccan continue working on this thing to back up file after you scan all the folders with which ever anti virus your hose to keep. Now right click on my computer select>properties and then system restore. You need to now turn off system restore before going about cleaning up the mess.

btw......I like AVG also.

bs5