Wireless Network Not talking to vista

Old 12-21-07, 05:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless Network Not talking to vista

I have a wireless network setup at my house, it has my home computer physically attached to the router and my laptop connects to the network just fine. Both computers are running XP. Recently my mother came over and her computer runs Vista. she could not connect to the network. Then, the next day my mother-in-law came over and could not connect. again, she is running vista. Here is the strange part. Both of them have been able to connect to the network in the past. Three weeks ago my mother came over and had no issues.

I have a Dlink router with WEP encryption. I do have a password.

When I look at the wireless network connection icon it says the computers are attached to the network, but if I go to "my network places" it does not see the files I share nor will Firefox or IE connect to any pages. They both say Server not found.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-07, 06:18 AM
BSB
If you log into the router (dlink) do you see the other laptops connected to the network? Can the laptops ping the dlink? Are the laptops getting a valid IP supplied by the dlink? Do either laptops have anything set for the domain settings?

Old 12-21-07, 09:05 AM
it seems to be working now. But I still don't understand what happened. I logged into my router and restarted it. I pinged my mother-in-law's laptop and it timed out. I then ran windows diagnoses thing for th wireless network. it claimed it could not fix the issue. I had the choice to send the info to Microsoft (don't know how that would work with no internet connection) or cancel. I canceled, disconnected from the network, re-connected, and ran it again. This time it found nothing wrong with the network but I could send the issue to microsoft or restart something (I forgot what that was) I chose the restart and it works now.

I don't understand what happened.

Old 12-21-07, 09:09 AM
I pinged my mother-in-law's computer and it still says timed out.

Old 12-24-07, 08:48 AM
BSB
I assuming you are pinging from your pc? If the MIL's laptop has ms firewall enabled more than likely icmp reply (or something like that, don't remember off had the exact verbage) is set to block or do not respond to ping requests. In order to get anything other than a time out for a ping you'll have to set it to allow for a response. As long as you see the mac in the list of wireless connections in the router the laptop "should" be able to get on the network.

With out being able to see the issue, the best that can be offered is "What if's". Since it's working, I'd not worry about it until it happens again. You can play with it if you want and try to recreate the issue (disconnect/reconnect, over and over again) So long as the laptop can ping the router, you may not even worry about pinging the laptops.

That was kind of long for a bunch of nothing, huh?