Computer won't stay running

Old 12-27-07, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Computer won't stay running

Hello,
My son has a Sony, Vaio desktop pc, it was working fine last night but this morning he went to turn it on and it won't stay running. When you push the power button you can hear the fan start up but as soon as you take your finger off the button it shuts off the power. Does anyone have any idea how I could trouble shoot this to find and correct the problem. I can't find a shop that can do anything until after the first of the year and my son has a project that is due when he goes back to school on 1/2/08.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-07, 09:46 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 63 Posts
Sounds like a failed switch to me.

Old 12-27-07, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Computer

Hi Palmcoast,

Here's the thing I have found out. On some pc's the "power" switch on the front, isn't really a power switch.
All it does is send a signal to a board that actuates a relay in the power supply. (I think thats the path.)

Anyway, try actually un-plugging the pc for a few minutes, then plug it back in and try it. Also try turning the power off on the back where the actual power supply is.

If you ever notice, when you first plug in most pc's, the fan in the P/S spins momentarily, then stops. You actually have power, but it is not being output to all the other devices.

I know this is probably not technically correct, but the
problem could be in the P/S or on a controller board.

Good Luck

Old 12-27-07, 02:05 PM
T
Sony PCs typically ship with Sleep mode turned on. It sounds like the machine is in a state of sleep and just not waking up. I agree with Gunguy... try turning off the power at the source (leave it off for a few minutes). Once you get the machine back on, turn off the Sleep option so you don't encounter this again.

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 12-28-07, 05:06 AM
H
I had this problem on home built PC many years ago. I would need to push the button several times (maybe 5 or so) until it would eventually stay running. Also, holding the button for several seconds helped as well.