Re: Blue Screen of Death

Old 12-28-07, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: Blue Screen of Death

This is a new wrinkle on my BSOD problem.

After my most recent episode of BSOD, all I would get on restart was a 'No Operating System' error message. Checking the CMOS showed that my hard drive was not being recognized.

So I switched over to a known good hard drive for OS, and installed the 'bad' hard drive as slave, and bingo!, it is now recognized in the CMOS.

This is beginning to drive me crazy. I had figured that I had eliminated a software conflict as the reason for my BSOD because I had no new software, and a manual power up would still give the 'No Operating System' error message - so a hardware problem was my best guess.
By simply pulling the hard drive and reinstalling it as slave, it went from 'unrecognized' to 'recognized' in the CMOS (probably in less than 5 minutes).

I give up!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Mo

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-07, 12:09 PM
Probably a failing drive. It won't boot (bad MBR or such) but will run as a slave drive. Drives are not expensive. It may be worthwhile to replace it, transfer all the valuable files to it, and discard it.

Old 12-28-07, 07:48 PM
probable failing drive

Back up your data from the drive as soon as possible and replace the drive. It is highly likely that it is not long for this world and may soon become unreadable.