Ftp?

Old 01-07-08, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ftp?

I run a small, part-time video editing business and work with another fellah some distance away. We are looking for an efficient way to transfer files to each other to avoid a 20 mile round trip each time we get a new project.

What's involved in setting up an FTP site?

I have used them & basically understand how they work but have never set one up. I know the file transfers would be slow since video files tend to be large but the gas savings might be worth it.

Any other ways to transfer files?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-08, 09:56 AM
Run an FTP server on one of your computers, and make sure that the other guy can access it. This will require whichever of you is hosting the server to open the appropriate ports on your firewall.

Old 01-07-08, 11:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I guess it might help to suggest an FTP server.

I've used Bulletproof with great success. $40.
http://www.bpftpserver.com/

There are free ones, but BP is very secure.

Old 01-07-08, 05:35 PM
Do you both need to work on full-resolution versions of the projects, or will it suffice to see compressed "approval" versions?

If you're the editor looking for changes (or vice versa), save the bandwidth and attach a small MPG to an email. We did that at our prodco for years. When we needed to send or receive full-res versions, we uploaded the media to a password-protected page on our website.

A friend of mine recently finished a CD that was a collaborative effort between musicians located in the USA, Russia, Fance, England, and Germany. They only sent "finals" to each other after everyone agreed that the arrangements were tight. The creative decisions were all made with very low bitrate MP3's sent via email.

Just a thought.

Old 01-07-08, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
Do you both need to work on full-resolution versions of the projects, or will it suffice to see compressed "approval" versions?
The other guy (12 miles south of me) shoots/I edit. On top of this, the producer/director is 18 miles west of me

So far, the best solution has been me dragging a 500 GB USB drive over to the shooter's location & transferring the files from his edit system. We may be stuck with this method since his connection is dial-up & mine is cable -- ftp would be verrrry slow I imagine.

That music project sounds interesting.

Old 01-10-08, 08:54 PM
I use a free service called ICQ to transfer files over the Internet, computer to computer. ICQ is an instant messaging program that also allows direct file transfer from user to user. I have transferred files over 4GB from my home in Florida to my friend in Maryland. It did take almost 24 hours to transfer, however!

The limiting factor in a peer to peer Internet file transfer using ICQ, FTP, or any other method is the upload speed of the source computer's Internet connection. Most standard broadband connections (home and small business) have 1.5Gbps to 10Gbps download bandwidth, but only have 256Kbps to 512Kbps upload bandwidth. A T1 line will give you 1.5Mbps bandwidth both upload and download.

If your video file is 1GB, you might expect to transfer the file in 90 minutes, best case, using a T1 line on the source end. Multiply this transfer time by 3 or 6 for a 512Kbps or 256Kbps connection, respectively.

An alternative would be to purchase point to point high speed service which would be less expensive compared to a comparable speed Internet connection.

If you can establish a line-of-sight link between your businesses using towers, you might also be able to purchase a point to point wireless network solution. This would likely be the most cost effective solution and can shorten that 1GB file transfer time to under 5 minutes for a high-end system to about 25 minutes for less expensive systems. I did a quick search on "point-to-point wireless bridge" and here are some examples:

GS2000 Wireless Bridge System
AIRAYA WirelessGRID

When performing the cost analysis for this, you must not only consider the gas savings, but also the time involved to make each trip.

Old 01-11-08, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by knavekid View Post
When performing the cost analysis for this, you must not only consider the gas savings, but also the time involved to make each trip.
Yes, time is the main factor since I do this extra work after my day job is done. Most projects involve about 20 GB of video files so it looks like I'm stuck with the present method.

Thanks for all the great suggestions :-)

Old 01-11-08, 10:01 AM
data transfer

We tend to look at wire speeds. While largely forgotten, for dealing with really large amounts of data that has been stored on some physical object, physical delivery is frequently faster and cheaper. The data transfer rate of a van or tractor trailer loaded with high density storage can be very high indeed. ~ 20 years ago, I would ship loaded hard drives via Federal Express. I sent them out in the afternoon and the recipient plugged them in and recovered the data the next morning.

Old 01-12-08, 05:53 AM
We used to call that "sneaker net." Put on your sneakers & walk the disc (or disk) to the other computer.