spark

Old 01-07-08, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
spark

I have a desktop setup + am working on a laptop at the same desk. I plugged the laptop into one of the live surge suppressors I use with the desktop while it was on and saw a spark. Where and how is it safe to plug this laptop into one of the surge suppressors? I remove the laptop when done working on it -by working on it i am trying to learn how to set up the bios etc for reformatting.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-08, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
You likely saw a spark because you did not positively push the plug into the receptacle.
A very common occurance.

Old 01-07-08, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't understand the question. Every time you make or break an electrical connection a spark is generated. Most of the time the spark is overshadowed by the lights in the room or is not seen because it is inside the receptacle or switch.

The spark may be greater than normal under certain humidity and/or when the current flow is higher, but a spark is always generated.

Old 01-07-08, 05:52 PM
The power supply of every laptop I've owned did the same thing. It doesn't matter whether or not the power supply is plugged in to the laptop. There is always a spark.

The transformer and capacitors in the power supply want to grab all the juice they can when the plug first makes contact, then the current draw settles down. It's called a turn-on surge.

If you don't enjoy sparks so close to your hand, turn the power strip off before you plug in the laptop's power supply. You can also plug the other end into the computer while the strip's switch is off. It's better for the computer that way, too.

Old 01-08-08, 04:31 PM
spark

Thank you for the advice -it's in the 'ole learning folder.
I read today that this Dell Inspiron 5150 lost class action b/c of heat and melting; they have to replace parts for free. My daughter just gave me this so I wonder if you knew if the deal is still active and if so how to take advantage of it and prevent damage.
Thank you

Old 01-09-08, 05:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think you may be referring to the battery issue. Dell was affected with 4.1 million Toshiba batteries.
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...again-sony.asp

Old 01-09-08, 08:41 AM
Not just batts

Summary of Dell Inspiron 5150 Notebook Computer Litigation
Lieff Cabraser served as Lead Class Counsel for consumers who experienced power problems with the Dell Inspiron 5150 notebook. In December 2006, the Court granted final approval to a settlement of the class action which extended the one-year limited warranty on the notebook for a set of repairs related to the power system. In addition, class members that paid Dell or a third party for repair of the power system of their notebook were entitled to a 100% cash refund from Dell.
This settlement is not related to Dellís August 2006 recall of certain batteries sold with Dell LatitudeTM, InspironTM, XPSTM and Dell Precision Mobile WorkstationTM notebook computers. In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and other regulatory agencies, Dell is voluntarily recalling certain Dell-branded batteries with cells manufactured by Sony and offering free replacements for these batteries. The Inspiron 5150 is not affected by the battery recall

Old 01-09-08, 08:44 AM
Dell inspiron disaster

This is not the batteries it affects the entire power system and Dell lost in a class action lawsuit but they won't compensate Canada - nice guys.
Anyway the deadline was June 07.