Installing new Hard Drive into HP NC6000

Old 01-09-08, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing new Hard Drive into HP NC6000

I have a HP NC6000 that was given to me by my work. I recently replaced the motherboard due to a faulty design of said board. Now my hard drive is failing. I have a drive from a Toshiba Laptop that broke. The drive is ok. My work bought the HP used and does not have the windows disks. How do I go about installing the Toshiba drive into the HP. I know in theory it will work. If I copy the “Drivers” folder from the HP hard drive to somewhere else, can I use that and the windows restore stuff that came with the Toshiba? If not, can I use any copy of windows? What exactly do I have to do to install and format the hard drive to work on my machine?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-08, 09:31 AM
Wink install and reformat of drive

Does your hp have a sticker on the bottom with a windows product code? If yes, then you can take pretty much any windows cd and install windows. It will probably want you to call microsoft to activate windows, but since you have the product code that is no problem. You will need access to another computer to download the drivers for that model from the HP web site. once you download the drivers, burn them to a cd and then install them on the laptop as needed. you may not need all of them, but they are nice to have.

You can also contact hp and see if they have the restore disks for that machine and purchase them for a small fee. that way you have everything it came with out of the box.

Windows will let you format the drive when you are installing windows, so that part should not be a problem.

I am assuming that you know how to physically install the drive in the hp. watch out for special adapters on the drive.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Cnicely; 01-10-08 at 09:33 AM. Reason: add info
Old 01-10-08, 10:21 AM
Careful. If the version of Windows on the PC is an OEM version, then you cannot install any version of Windows, you will need to find a compatible OEM version. If the version is a retail version, then you just need to find install disks for that version. Remember that XP Professional needs an XP Professional install CD, Home needs a Home install CD, Media Center needs a Media Center install CD.

A better solution is to use one of the utilities available that will clone the hard drive. They transfer the files on the drive and the OS itself and install them on the new drive. They are made for just this purpose.

Old 01-10-08, 01:21 PM
racraft,

can you suggest a utility to clone the old drive?

Old 01-10-08, 01:26 PM
Norton Ghost is such a program.

Old 01-10-08, 01:30 PM
that transfers the OS as well? The reason I ask, is that I was looking online and the product description does not state it transfers the OS. I am just wanting to make sure I get the right one.

Thank you

Old 01-11-08, 07:29 AM
using ghost

Ghost will make a mirror image of one drive to another and it works quite well. there are several other programs out there that will do the same thing. look for a backup type program and read carefully. The main problem with ghosting a drive is having a machine to hook up both drives so that the program sees them. make sure that you take note of which drive is the original and which is the target, so you don't transfer files the wrong way. depending on how far gone your drive is ghost should work fine, but may run into errors and stop itself. if it stops then you will most likely have to do a clean install.

Have you backed up all the data needed from the drive? pics, docs, etc

Old 01-11-08, 06:20 PM
I cloned the drive using Acronis. Worked great, thanks for the idea