Bluetooth/Notebook/Cellphone/Internet?

Old 01-10-08, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth/Notebook/Cellphone/Internet?

I've been reading about using my cellphone to connect my notebook to the internet using bluetooth but I haven't found any specifics on how to do it.

My cellphone is bluetooth compliant and my plan is to get a USB Blue tooth adaptor for my notebook.

The reason I want to do this is that when I travel, most of the time, the Hotels I stay at have free high-speed internet access; but every now and then there are a few hotels that make you pay anywhere from $9 to $15 to access their network for 24 hours. If I'm there for a week or so, that can get costly. I thought by using my cell phone to access the internet just for those places that make you pay it would be worth the trouble of setting up the Bluetooth connection.

Actually, I'm looking for info about after I've made the bluetooth connection between the PC and the phone. How do I connect to the internet? Dial in like a modem? Or do I have to subscribe to a service from my cell phone provider?
Thanks,
Phil

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-08, 06:01 PM
At least with verizon, I had to pay an extra amount per month. I think it was around $10. It was called tethering. I never actually used it so I dropped it.

I can't tell you how it works, but my friend uses it on his phone. I think you need a cable to connect to the laptop via USB though.

Old 01-10-08, 06:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This will use have tremendous amount of data charges. Definetly check your cell provider first to see if you have a unlimited data plan.

Old 01-10-08, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
This will use have tremendous amount of data charges. Definetly check your cell provider first to see if you have a unlimited data plan.
Mmmm, that would defeat the whole purpose of saving the cost of spending the $9 to $15 for high-speed internet at the hotel!

What about using the cell phone as a modem and use my ISP's dial-up number? I know that would be slow as molasses but at least I could send and receive email.

Of course, I could do that with any phone......even the hotel phone, so I guess I'm back to "Square-One."
Phil