Retriving temporary internet files

Old 01-10-08, 08:08 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Retriving temporary internet files

Hey there
If you delete temporary internet files are they completely deleted off the hard drive. Are the web sites that you visited retrivable?
Thanks
Bill

Old 01-11-08, 03:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Every time you visit the site, an entry is placed in your Temporary Internet Files, so deleting them is really no big deal. Is there a reason you need these files? Generally speaking, once these are deleted they are gone, unless the possibility exists for an expensive purge of the computer's memory. I have mine dumped every time I shut down my browser.

Old 01-11-08, 04:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I have mine set to dump every time I close IE as well, but I noticed a couple years ago on virus and spyware scans that there were files not being trashed that had long outlived their usefulness, so I don't believe everything goes.

Old 01-11-08, 04:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Mitch, I believe you are right, but didn't know why. I'll have to check behind myself more. Firefox does a pretty good job of dumping, but one never knows, so it helps to check.

Old 01-11-08, 04:49 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey there
My understanding is that even after u delete temp internet files that they still remain in your harddrive in an index.dat file and apparently they take up a fair amount of space. There are utilities to remove these . Do you know which utility is better than the rest? ANd free lol
Thanks
Bill

Old 01-11-08, 05:21 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Temporary internet files will go into the recycle bin if you manually delete them. The recycle bin will keep them (able to be restored) until you manually empty the bin.

Even after you've "permanently" deleted the files the data will still be accessible in its raw form on the drive. That's because the data isn't actually erased. The system just identifies that space on the hard drive as being available for accepting new data. It remains available until new data takes its place.

The History folder will also keep a record of the sites you visited. If you've ever printed any of the pages on a site, they'll reside in the print spooler. If you type anything into the search engines, your searches are archived on those sites. These are just a few. There are a whole lot more places where your visits can be tracked.

Old 01-11-08, 07:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Seems I forgot to mention in my first post how I solved my problem - crap cleaner (ccleaner.com).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: