Disc #2????

Old 01-11-08, 03:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
Disc #2????

I got a couple of computer games for Christmas. I tried loading one and when it got to the point of prompting for disc #2 the computer locked up. I tried a couple of times in two separate drives. I also tried loading the disc manually from the start/run feature of Windows.

Thinking that disc #2 was bad I tried loading the second game. I got the exact same result. When the installwizard prompts for the second disc the computer locks up. I've tried rebooting without success.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-08, 05:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How long did you wait for the 2nd disc to be recognized? Sometimes it takes awhile. My DVD drive will act like nothing's happening for up to a minute before it decides to spin and read a new disc. (I have autoplay on that drive turned off for a reason, so that may be the culprit.)

Old 01-12-08, 06:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 26 Posts
Did you try browsing the files using Windows Explorer? That would tell you if at least the disk is able to be read. Could also try launching from there.

Specs on your computer?

Old 01-12-08, 08:45 AM
loading problems

sounds like a windows issue. does your machine meet all the requirements for the games? how "clean" is your system? I would run scandisk, defrag and a registry cleaner to see if that helps. Is your antivirus up to date? you may need to turn it off temporarily. Also what else is running in the background. What kind of games are you trying to load? what are your system specs?

Old 01-12-08, 12:59 PM
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
I have a Pentium 4, 2.6Ghz with 512M of RAM. Virus scannner was off, and I closed down all owner processes in TM. I waited a full 5 minutes for the drive to read the disc. Files on the disc, including the application, show up in Windows Explorer. The games are a 4 disc MOH, Pacific Campaign and a 2 disc Agatha Christie Mystery.

TM indicates "not responding" when the OK button on the "insert disc #2" prompt is pushed.

I have loaded multi disc programs on this computer within the last 3-4 months.

Old 01-12-08, 03:22 PM
The next thing I'd do is take a look at the folder where the program resides. (Usually Program Files/company/game)

Copy disc 2's contents into that folder and try again. You may have to make a new folder under the game folder and copy the data there. When the install asks you for Disc 2, you may be able to "browse" to the folder where you made the copy.

A lot of the problems are due to non-standardization of files and folders.

Which reminds me ... when you install a new program, do you change the default directory where the program wants to live? Not a good idea. Although it seems like a good idea to put new games in a global "games" folder, the raw installation sometimes is too dumb to know you've changed the default.

Old 01-15-08, 09:07 AM
BSB
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
Which reminds me ... when you install a new program, do you change the default directory where the program wants to live? Not a good idea. Although it seems like a good idea to put new games in a global "games" folder, the raw installation sometimes is too dumb to know you've changed the default.
I would have to disagree with this part....In the last 10 or so years I've never installed anything other than windows in it's default location. I should clarify though, I don't change the entire path. Just the drive. If the default wants to live on C:\program files\etc\etc I will change only the drive letter. I have two drives dedicated to games and any files associated with the games, one drive dedicated to misc programs and one dedicated to audio/visual.

Never had one problem doing this. I can't say if I were to change the entire install line that would be the case. It's to much work to try to change the whole line, but 3 key strokes are all that's needed to change the drive.

Old 01-15-08, 04:55 PM
Our opinions differ. It's not a major percentage of the programs that have problems. Just the opposite: Most will live anywhere you tell them to live.

All it takes is "once burned" to be "twice shy".

The fact that it's a game tells me that you should just let the install do what it wants to do.

Changing a drive letter is one thing, but changing

c:\Program Files\game

to

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Local Machine\Applications\Game\Application Data\Drivers\Etcetera

increases the chances of the programmer overlooking a pointer.

Old 01-16-08, 02:50 PM
I've had a very similar problem, except instead of getting a message about not recognizing the disk, I get a blue screen of death.

This is an old generic P3 machine. It's been a while since I've messed with it, but I was trying to install Diablo 2 on it to do some network gaming with my son. Two different drives on this computer refuse to get past the second disk, yet another similar machine has no problems. I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Win 98SE and still have the same problem. I originally thought it may be a cd drive issue but both drives refuse to install the game. I seem to recall an error referencing VCACHE. Maybe there's a memory problem? I was going to open it up and reseat the RAM but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Any other thoughts?