O.S. already installed, can I...

Old 01-11-08, 05:15 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question O.S. already installed, can I...

make a copy of the installed operating system? New computer and the os is already installed and didn't get the disc. I'm thinking that making a copy will help if I have a to reinstall it if need be. Sometimes when something is installed or changed (ie. mouse, cd/dvd rom) it asks that the os disc be put into cd drive to get drivers etc.. Would it work? If everything is do-able how would I go about it?

Thanks Gee

Old 01-11-08, 06:58 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Making a copy would not provide you with any additioanl drivers or such. It would only contain what is already on the HD now.

Curious as to what brand of computer you have. Every comp I ever bought had the OS pre-installed but it came with the OS on a disc as well just so you could wipe the HD and start over if the need arose.

Old 01-11-08, 07:02 PM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not all computers come with the install disc. Many times you have to ask for it, or pay a small fee.
An image can be created of the drive after an install. It should be kept on another drive, such as an external.

Old 01-11-08, 07:08 PM
G
You say an image. Is this the same as a copy to dvd? The computer has a dvd writer, so I think I should be able to do it. What exactly do mean by an external?

Old 01-11-08, 07:17 PM
nap
external drive: one that is not installed inside your computer. such as this:

external HD

Have you attempted to get an install disc for your computer from the retailer or manufacturer?

Old 01-11-08, 07:52 PM
G
Would the external drive have to be the same size as the internal hard drive for it to copy? No, I haven't gone back to the store to ask about the disc yet, it is closed for the night. Going to try on the weekend. I did notice that the tower has a product key sticker. Would this be helpful in getting an os disc? The os is vista.

Old 01-11-08, 08:17 PM
nap
the external drives can be any size.

Rather than going the route of trying to burn a disc (never done it. don't know if it is possible. They may be encrypted to prevent it), since it sounds like you are really new to this, I would suggest attempting to get a hard copy from the retailer. The product key is essentially the serial number for the OS on your (and only your) computer. I would have it on hand just in case it is needed.

Old 01-12-08, 07:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 66 Votes on 55 Posts
Are you sure there isn't a partition on your hard drive that contains a copy of the OS installation?

Old 01-12-08, 11:09 AM
T
If you can't find the install partition - I recommend getting the software from www.acronis.com (or another brand like ghost)

I jusy bought it and backed up all by systems at home to a USB drive. Pretty good software.

Even if you have the Install CD - it is really painful to reload everything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: