Adding RAM to a Gateway Desktop

Old 01-15-08, 07:13 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Adding RAM to a Gateway Desktop

Model 500S Plus, 256MB DDR SDRAM, Pentium 4 Processor 2.4GHz. I would like to add more RAM. What should I purchase and is there anything I should be aware of in installing it? Thanks............................

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-08, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are several web sites that will answer your questions. One of them is http://www.crucial.com. The sites will even analyze your system to determine what you already have installed.

I can tell you this. Don't expect more memory to address all issues you have with your system. More memory is great, and will help out with some issues, but your PC is just too old for high speed applications.

Old 01-15-08, 09:23 AM
I agree with Racraft.

More ram is going to run you between 50$-$200 depending on how much memory you can put in the system but the industry norm right now is 2gigs for computers being sold if they ever plan on putting Vista on them.

$200 is about half the price of a new system with no monitor from dell. Granted it is the low end systems but it will still be much faster than the computer you are attempting to upgrade.

As for answering your question.

Your system has 2 memory slots and a maximum allowed memory of 1 gigabyte. That means you can add 2 sticks of 512mb.

Here is a website that can give you prices which is under 100$ for 1gig

http://www.memorystock.com/memory/Ga...00SPlus2G.html

Old 01-15-08, 09:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
You can also do a general search on www.pricewatch.com.

Old 01-15-08, 09:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is nothing wrong with a 2.4g system. It still has a lot of useful life in it. Don't let the naysayers tell you otherwise. 1 gig will help your system.

Old 01-15-08, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
There is nothing wrong with a 2.4g system. It still has a lot of useful life in it. Don't let the naysayers tell you otherwise. 1 gig will help your system.
Even when the cost of the ram is 1/3rd the cost of a brand new system?

Not saying just saying.

Old 01-15-08, 11:12 AM
With more RAM your system will do just fine.

Don't let the speed demons discourage you. While 256 MB is a bit minimal for XP if you are doing many things simultaneously (the system will page memory to the hard disc, causing a significant speed slowdown), it will work. Upgrading you memory will significantly increase the user experience.

I have an old Win 98 system at home (it came with 256 MB) that I added an additional 512 MBytes to when I upgraded to XP. It runs XP very well and my son now uses it for his browsing, writing, and on-line games. It is slower than your system, as it has a 1.7 GHz processor.

I considered upgrading it to Vista Home Basic, which would run on it, but did not do so because some of the hardware was not supported and I didn't want to add a bunch of cards to replace the HW for which drivers were not available.

I have what used to be an XP desktop at my office (3 GHz processor with 1 GByte of RAM). I run Vista business on it with no problems, including an index server that I use for searches on ~ 200 GBytes of source code. It runs well - yet the speed demons would tell you that it too is inadequate to run Vista.

Note, I optimize my system for performance, not for the pretty GUI, but this lets me do my job well on minimal hardware. Configured this way, Vista behaves well on far more modest systems than the speed demons will ever admit.

Old 01-15-08, 11:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by yoshua View Post
Even when the cost of the ram is 1/3rd the cost of a brand new system?
Yes. Even if the cost is 1/3 the cost of a new system.

Old 01-15-08, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
ram

Gotta agree w/Oneof and JRM

Looking at several benchmark charts, that "old" PC will be fine for most things. Sure if yer a gamer, or into graphic design, or photo/video editing...there may be issues.

But by those same charts, that P-4 is beating the Athlon XP i have in this machine. My wife has the newer PC, and mine is in the garage. Have a 19" WS LCD monitor on a homemade swing mount, wireless mouse and keybd, and the audio is hooked into my garage surround sound as well. The video also being sent to my 27" TV if i want to "split" screen a diagram or send dvd or downloaded video to the larger screen.

I upped the RAM to 1.25 G, mostly by checking for sales of the older mem I needed.

Don't upgrade just to upgrade...it's one thing if you had a bad HD and the motherboard was shot.....but thats not yer issue.