Two antivirus programs?

Old 01-21-08, 10:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Two antivirus programs?

I have been issued a notebook computer at work. I am allowed to add software, as long as it's done legally. It had mcaffee antivirus on it, but I prefer AVG. Any problem if I download AVG without deleting mcaffee?

Old 01-21-08, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
multiple AV programs

Your performance may suffer. AV programs install kernel drivers to intercept such things as writing files and reading from the network. At the very least, you will take a slowdown from having them both check things. They may interfere with one another, further slowing down your system. In general, these are not tested for their behavior with one another. So, if you do it, you will be on your own.

Old 01-21-08, 11:22 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, you will not be legal if you install the free version of AVG, as the free version is not allowed to be used for business purposes.

On the technical side, you should not run two anti-virus programs at the same time. Just like you should not run two firewalls at the same time. They will conflict. The conflicts may or may not cause problems.

What you can do is to have two such programs installed, but only use one at a time. For example, use one or the other but not both at the same time for the real time resident functions (virus checking email, Virus checking files that you open, etc.). And then, as you need it, use either one or both when you want to do system scans.

Old 01-21-08, 11:40 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Well, that solves the problem. I have to be able to prove legality for all of my software, so I'll just skip AVG. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: