Manuel Shut Down

Old 01-24-08, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Manuel Shut Down

I have a HP, about 6 months old. It has Vista Home OS. I have had problems locking up. Is there some way to shut it down when it locks up? My old pute would shut down by ctl alt delete. This will not work in Vista. I have asked different techs that I have talked to, they knew of no way except a hard shut down. Is this the only way?
Thanks in advance. Robertk

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-08, 10:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Press and hold the power button.

Old 01-24-08, 10:09 AM
shutting down a locked system

Push down the power switch until the system shuts down. If the system is ignoring control-alt-delete, there is nothing else you can do (other than pulling the power cord, which is not recommended).

Old 01-24-08, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by JRM_security_MS View Post
there is nothing else you can do (other than pulling the power cord, which is not recommended).

Or you could "upgrade" to XP........sorry couldn't resist!

Old 01-24-08, 02:04 PM
locked systems

I see less of this with Vista than I did with XP. In general, the problem is due to bad drivers or add on software that the hardware vendor shipped with the system. I have a new (3 month) HP system with Vista Home Premium on it. It is not running any where as reliably as it should. Since I do have a lot of experience with Vista (starting with early beta versions), I know it is not a Vista issue. When I get some free time, I am going to reformat the disc and reinstall from a clean Vista disc without all the helpful add-on software.

In Win 98 days, we didn't get the locked systems, we got the blue screen of death all the time.

Old 01-24-08, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
Press and hold the power button.
That perfectly treats the symptom. It will probably work forever with that workaround. I use it all the time when computers crash. (And believe me, they crash more than you know!)

Methinks the cause will be harder to pin down.