"open office" program

Old 01-24-08, 07:06 PM
"open office" program

I don't have MS Office or MS Word. I've been creating a company newsletter using the only word-processing software on my PC, which is Microsoft Works. It's okay and has a few "template" samples you can use to help you create it how you like it, different formats, inserting objects, etc.
Someone suggested that instead of Works I might try another, open source, office suite available by Sun Microsystems. They said it is totally free, and every bit as good, if not better than Microsoft. And very easy to use too. This person said they've started using it lately, and see no reason to use MS anymore with this available. It can read MS documents and spreadsheets, powerpoint, etc, and output in those formats also. They say the the word processing software is much more flexible than MS Works. The link is as follows:
http://www.openoffice.org/

I went to the link and read a little about the "project". I was wondering if anyone else has any experience using this, and whether it would be worthwhile trying for my newsletter. I don't really have a need for the spreadsheet and database function, so I just wonder if it I should bother downloading the program just to use the word-processing function of it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-08, 08:06 PM
on Open Office

I will note up front that I work on security for Microsoft. That said, Open Office is far more capable than Microsoft Works. I would strongly disagree that Open Office is easier to use than Office, but if you have been using anything for a long time, you are likely to like the way that you do things. I think that the general consensus is the Office is easier to use.

On a different basis, I believe that Office 2007 is considerably more secure than either the earlier Office 2004 or Open Office. This is not an ignorant judgment either. Assessment reports have concluded the same thing.

Increasingly, attackers are moving to attacking applications. For example, they send you an attachment that is malicious. When you open it up with Adobe Reader, or some other application, the attack succeeds. Microsoft, while commonly attacked, is very good at updating its applications when issues arise. This is not true with Open Office, where you have to know that an issue has occurred and then go and get an update, if it is available.

Thus, there are good reasons to use Microsoft Office, which for many if not most people can more than justify the cost.

Old 01-24-08, 08:49 PM
where I work, half the office is on PCs and half are on Macs. All us PC guys are using Office 2007 and the Mac guys use Open Office. They all love it. That said, having used both, I wouldn't trade my Office 2007 for it.

It does get the job done though.

Old 01-24-08, 10:24 PM
I use both, and have no problems with Open Office. Before I got it, I did some research. Even alot of companies are going to it, because of the small fortune they have to pay Microsoft for licenses. I'm talking companies with a hundred users. As with anything, it takes a little adjustment in getting used to it. But I would say that for most people, there is very little you could find in MS Office to justify the hundreds of dollars for it over Open Office. Especially if you look at the cost above basic.

Old 01-25-08, 03:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
sgull;

If this is a company computer, you had better check to see if it's OK to install open office before you do it. If it doesn't matter, than by all means try it. Free is better than $500.I have used OO for years.

Old 01-26-08, 10:23 AM
OpenOffice is a much better alternative than MS Works. If you don't want the other programs in the suite, simply choose a custom install during installation and uncheck the ones you do not need. Simple as that.

Old 01-26-08, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Heterman View Post
OpenOffice is a much better alternative than MS Works. If you don't want the other programs in the suite, simply choose a custom install during installation and uncheck the ones you do not need. Simple as that.
Though Im not sure why anyone wouldn't. I can creat PDF's from any document including cad .dwg's. I can create powerpoint programs. It's fantastic, especially if you wouldn't use these very often, as the original programs would cost a small fortune.

Old 01-26-08, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Heterman View Post
Darn! I wish I knew that before I downloaded the whole suite. When reading the FAQ before I went to download, it said you couldn't download the separate applications only, that you needed to get the whole shabang, as per this FAQ: http://documentation.openoffice.org/...ation/003.html

All I really wanted was the Writer, didn't need the database or spreadsheet apps. I wonder if there's a good way to delete them now, probably not...

Old 01-26-08, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just install the whole program and use what you need. It's only another 20 meg to install it all.

Old 01-26-08, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Integrator97 View Post
Im not sure why anyone wouldn't [want the other programs in the suite]. I can creat PDF's from any document including cad .dwg's. I can create powerpoint programs. It's fantastic, especially if you wouldn't use these very often, as the original programs would cost a small fortune.
Yes, I would have to agree then that it would be better logic to just get the whole suite, even if I were to have the choice (which I don't think I did anyway) to just get one app out of the three. thanks

Old 01-26-08, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
Just install the whole program and use what you need. It's only another 20 meg to install it all.
Okay. Done did it. thanks.