System stopped recognizing CD and Zip drives

Old 01-26-08, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
System stopped recognizing CD and Zip drives

For some inexplicable reason, my computer system stopped recognizing that it has a CD and a Zip drive. I cannot load anything onto my system nor can I save anything or burn a CD because the system doesn't believe it's there. I've looked for the owner's manual, but if I don't have any way of being able to communicate with my computer except through the internet, the original CD won't do me any good. Help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-08, 05:46 PM
I suspect that the cable has come loose or come completely off inside the computer. Open it up and check.

Old 01-27-08, 05:52 AM
An Iomega Zip drive? How old is this computer? Are both the CD and Zip SCSI devices?

In any case, try disconnecting the Zip. They were notorious for taking down ports and SCSI busses when they failed. Depending on SCSI device order, you may also have to "terminate" it at the CD, usually by changing a jumper on the rear panel.

Hopefully you're not using the Zip discs for critical data backups.

Old 01-27-08, 07:22 AM
There are IDE Zip drives, I have one I had back on my Win95 Pentium machine.

Old 01-27-08, 09:39 AM
You should first boot up and hit whichever key gets you into the bios/cmos setup. Usually Del, F1 or something like that--it should tell you by flashing a "Click Del to enter setup"...usually that shows for about 3 nanoseconds and you then have about 2 more nanoseconds to hit the key or it keeps booting.

Anyway, then the first thing to do is make sure you can see it there in the setup. I have seen cases where, for example, the second IDE channel got disabled, so make sure all IDE channels are enabled and that the drive is recognized by the bios. If not, nothing in your OS will see it. BTW, what operating system?

--Jim

Old 01-27-08, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
There are IDE Zip drives, I have one I had back on my Win95 Pentium machine.
They made one for the parallel port, too. My thinking was SCSI because CD burners at that time came with Adaptec SCSI hosts, and if it was an off-the-shelf box it probably also had a built-in SCSI Zip drive.

ecrmedia1: If I were you I'd find someone who has a working Zip drive, pull all the data off the disks, transfer the data to DVDs, and retire the Zip format. DVD drives are cheap. CD burners and Zip drives are obsolete.

Old 01-27-08, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by ecrmedia1 View Post
For some inexplicable reason, my computer system stopped recognizing that it has a CD and a Zip drive. I cannot load anything onto my system nor can I save anything or burn a CD because the system doesn't believe it's there. I've looked for the owner's manual, but if I don't have any way of being able to communicate with my computer except through the internet, the original CD won't do me any good. Help!!

Load any software recently.....say like Roxio??