Wireless Mouse Battery Life?

Old 01-27-08, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless Mouse Battery Life?

The Dell Wireless Mouse at my work office uses two AA alkaline batteries and it's used nearly non-stop 8-hrs/day, 5/days a week. Those batteries last about 6-months or longer before they need to be replaced.

I just purchased a wireless mouse for my Notebook PC (W/rechargeable batteries) and the batteries only last a few hours before needed a recharge. Doesn't seem right!
http://nspiregear.com/axm105.asp

The batteries that came with the mouse are (2) NiMd-600-mAh-AAA's. Is it possible the batteries are bad? Anyway to check them and verify they are up to full capacity?
Thanks.
Phil

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-08, 12:09 PM
I think you mean NiMH batteries. Nickel-metal hydride.

600ma hours is pitiful. These batteries are junk. If you want to use rechargeable, use ones that are rated for at least 1000 ma hours. You can buy ones rated higher as well, but 1000 is fine.

Old 01-27-08, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
I think you mean NiMH batteries. Nickel-metal hydride.
racraft,
Yes, my mistake I did mean Nickel-metal hydride!
But I was right about the 600 mAh batteries suppled with the mouse.

I'm still thinking the batteries that came with the mouse are defective.........even at 600 mAh they should last more than a few hours. And, even if I replace them with 1000 mAh batteries; is that going to make the difference between a few hours of battery life and 6-months of battery life like the mouse in my office at work?
Phil

Old 01-27-08, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Phil, you will find in general, non rechargeable batteries will last longer than the rechargeable types, but it is an economic choice. My wireless mouse lasts forever on regular Duracell batteries, so the small cost of replacement isn't much.

Old 01-27-08, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Phil, you will find in general, non rechargeable batteries will last longer than the rechargeable types
chandler,
Mmmm, I never would have thought that! I figured the Nickel-Metal-Hydride batteries would far outlast throw-away alkalines.

I don't have a problem buying alkaline batteries if need be......I'd just like to figure out first if this mouse naturally eats batteries in two hours; or if the batteries that came with it are defective.
Phil

Old 01-27-08, 04:56 PM
That device is rated to draw 30 milliamps when in use, and 3ma when in "sleep" mode. No matter what kind of batteries you put in they should last for weeks, if not months.

Take it back. There is something wrong with it.

Old 01-27-08, 05:13 PM
There is definitely something wrong. Either it is the batteries or the mouse. You can figure out which, or you can return the unit and get a new one.

That being said, in the long run you will save money if you use rechargeable batteries. Alkaline batteries are better for some things than rechargeable ones, and rechargeable ones are better for other things. In your mouse, however, it hardly makes a difference.

Old 01-27-08, 06:03 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I use the NiMH rechargeable (AA size) in my genuine Microsoft wireless mouse and they last a couple of months at least of 6 or more hours a day usage before needing recharging.

I would be leary of using a mouse that took AAA size batteries as the AAA won't have the capacity.

Old 01-27-08, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
That device is rated to draw 30 milliamps when in use
Rick,
So assuming my batteries are good and have a full charge; and the mouse is good, how long should my 600 mAh batteries last assuming I were to use the mouse continuously. (at the 30 milliamp draw mode)

Phil

Old 01-28-08, 05:18 AM
600MaH / 30Ma = 20 hours if series and 40 if parallel. That's continuous use, constant movement. When idling (no movement) you should get 200/400. When not active (sleeping) you should get 1200/2400 hours. Note too that the specs say <30 (less than 30).

A combination of usage/idling/sleeping should mean they'll last for at least a few weeks.

The Energizer NiMH AAA's I recently bought have a rating of 900MaH. It could be the batts.

Old 01-28-08, 01:37 PM
I have a mouse (logitech, FWIW), with NiMH cells pulled from a Cellular phone battery, and it lasts around 2-3 weeks with them, per charge.
They are nearly 10 years old. My newer ones last at least a month.

Old 01-28-08, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
600MaH / 30Ma = 20 hours if series and 40 if parallel. That's continuous use, constant movement.
Rick,
Thanks! At least now I've got a baseline to go by...... I can definitely see with the batteries only holding on for about two hours there's a problem.

I guess I could buy a pair of new batteries (they're not that expensive) and see what happens.

If I get 3 to 5 days on a charge, I'd be happy. If I still only get a couple of hours; the mouse is going back and I'll find some other use for the new batteries.

Thanks again,
Phil