ram upgraded, computer still slow

Old 02-06-08, 06:54 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ram upgraded, computer still slow

a little while ago I upgraded my computer from 512 mb of ram to 1.256 GB of ram. I have a 2.66GHz processor. this was because for some reason games I could play before had no speed issues, now have speed issues. i have not noticed any increase in speed at all. i have the small list of background programs running, pretty much just essential stuff. and I run ad/spyware programs (usually don't find much). before i upgraded the ram I had reformated a while ago. my computer has recognized the ram, what else is there thats keeping my computer so slow?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-08, 07:32 PM
What is your CPU usage % when you aren't doing much on the machine?

Old 02-07-08, 12:02 PM
T
First off, try pulling out your old stick of memory, it may be bad. COuld also be a bad hard drive or motherboard. Try pulling out any add on cards one at a time and see if it helps. Disconnect extraneous drives and see if that changes anything. You have to narrow it down as much as possible.

You may even try reloading windows again and see if that helps.

Old 02-07-08, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
COuld also be a bad hard drive or motherboard.
If he had a motherboard or RAM defective, he would almost certainly have blue screen of death or other error messages.

Old 02-07-08, 04:46 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You reformatted and upgraded ram. Did the games play faster before you did this?

Did you reload the game(s) software after you reformatted?

What did you format?

How long does the computer take to boot to a useable state?

Does it run other programs like Internet Explorer faster than it did before?

Old 02-07-08, 06:20 PM
N
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
You reformatted and upgraded ram. Did the games play faster before you did this?

Did you reload the game(s) software after you reformatted?

What did you format?

How long does the computer take to boot to a useable state?

Does it run other programs like Internet Explorer faster than it did before?
Yes/no to the first, they worked great, but i didn't have any internet security on my computer (at the time) and after a while things just got slower and slower, so i reformated to start over (by that i mean i fdisked my hard drive and reloaded XP). But when i reloaded everything and got norton internet security, nothing got faster. So i got more ram.

My computer takes a fair amount of time to boot up, a lot longer than it should, i'd say i start it and leave it, lets just say for talk it takes like 5 minutes.

It doesn't run anything faster after the ram was installed, browsers, just pulling up files/folders, etc.

I'd say at a sitting idle state with just this browser up i've got a cpu usage of 5%.

A few years ago i upgraded my motherboard and processor and ram. But i didn't upgrade my hard drive. Is it possible my hard drive isn't keeping up any more?

Old 02-07-08, 06:52 PM
T
FIrst off, it wouldn't hurt you to get rid of norton, I've seen norton cause problems on lots of machines, including running slow. But in this instance I'm gonna say it's probably hardware related, and my first guess is going to be your hard drive. But definitely try pulling that old stick of memory out first.

Look at it this way, if you have the same hardware as before you reloaded and it's still just as slow, that pretty much narrows it down to hardware. Unless that is you have a driver issue, but that's not what it sounds like to me.

Did you pull that old stick of memory yet???

Old 02-08-08, 04:10 AM
O
Norton is a resource hog. There are free ways to protect your computer that do as good a job.

If the old memory is slower than the new, it will all run at the slow speed.

Old 02-08-08, 06:35 PM
N
removed the old card, running on just the new 1 gig card, and no improvements at all. .

Old 02-09-08, 11:34 AM
L
More info

I'll pass on some advice that did me some good. Download and burn Ultimate Boot CD and use it (restart your machine with the CD in the drive, hit "enter" when it says to). Use the disc diagnosis utility that's appropriate for your HD, there's also one or two generic programs in there too.

Also, run the Memtest, it'll check your ram, and use one of the processor utilities just to be sure.

How big and how full is the HD? Defragging can make a noticeable difference in performance.

What antivirus/antimalware, etc. programs have you run?

Old 02-09-08, 12:32 PM
T
I'm gonna say it's probably a bad hard drive. Do you have an another drive you could through in there and load up just to test?

Old 02-09-08, 03:01 PM
N
my hd is 37.2g, and its half full. i tried a defrag cause it was pretty bad, once it was all done, it really hadn't moved much. other than norton internet sercurity no other antivirus stuff.

Old 02-09-08, 04:03 PM
R
You reformatted and installed Norton at the same time? You may have traded one resource hog (malware, spyware, etc.) for another.

Here's a simple test: Disable Norton. Kill it in its menu and in the Start/Programs/Startup folder. Reboot and see if things speed up. (You may want to unplug your internet connection while Norton is disabled.)

Norton wants to check every file as you download, save, modify, open, or otherwise access it. It also wants to run a complete scan at bootup on everything, including boot sectors, ram, BIOS, and every file on every storage device, which is why the thing takes 5 minutes to boot.

I have the same issue on my company-issued laptop. It takes between 5 and 7 minutes to boot. If I shut off Norton it boots in about 45 seconds. Problem is, our IT department won't let me run it that way.

Old 02-09-08, 04:10 PM
T
Good point. I didn't really think about all the stuff it runs at boot.

Norton is so annoying.

Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
You reformatted and installed Norton at the same time? You may have traded one resource hog (malware, spyware, etc.) for another.

Here's a simple test: Disable Norton. Kill it in its menu and in the Start/Programs/Startup folder. Reboot and see if things speed up. (You may want to unplug your internet connection while Norton is disabled.)

Norton wants to check every file as you download, save, modify, open, or otherwise access it. It also wants to run a complete scan at bootup on everything, including boot sectors, ram, BIOS, and every file on every storage device, which is why the thing takes 5 minutes to boot.

I have the same issue on my company-issued laptop. It takes between 5 and 7 minutes to boot. If I shut off Norton it boots in about 45 seconds. Problem is, our IT department won't let me run it that way.

Old 02-09-08, 08:29 PM
Z
Ditch that POS PC and get a MAC

Old 02-09-08, 09:12 PM
T
Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
Ditch that POS PC and get a MAC
Wow, that was a well thought out statement. Nevermind the fact that pcs outsell macs by like 100 to 1.....

fanboy

Old 02-10-08, 05:55 AM
R
Let's not go in that direction. Please keep it on topic.

Old 02-10-08, 08:06 AM
N
i was able to shut off each of nortons options one by one, but i really don't know how to get it to keep from starting up, it doesn't have the option in its own preferences... when i go to right click on the task bar icon, it only gives me the option to open the protection center, and change notification options. which the help document says that it should display a bunch of stuff like disabling. i did how ever see an increase in speed having shut the options off, but still not up to par for me.

Old 02-10-08, 12:29 PM
O
Don't worry about Norton now. It's installed and takes a lot of work to get rid of it.

Old 02-10-08, 01:06 PM
T
A 37 Gig drive that is half full sounds a little full after a reformat. I personally would buy a bigger drive. Defrag is not too effective on drives that are half full.

I also would either use msconfig, or Spybots "tools" section to shut off EVERYTHING that you don't know what it is in the startup area . Then introduce things until you find the problems.

5 % usage may sound like a little - but it really should be almost 0 % when you are doing "nothing". In Task MGR - highlight the Processes Tab, and then click on the CPU column, so the highest is on the top. Idle Processess will most likely be on Top. Whatever is showing usage on the next couple lines is likely to be your culplit. Sorting on CPU Time and Memory usage will also provide clues.