maxed out my hard drive?

Old 02-13-08, 09:57 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
maxed out my hard drive?

I want to eventually get an external hard drive and back up everything. and use it as a network source. if I usnderstand correctly that I can.

but in the meantime I want to delete some programs I dont use and it is telling me I dont seem to have enough space
to procede. is there any way around this?
thanks

Old 02-13-08, 10:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How much free space do you have left?

A message like that, *if legitimate* would indicate that your drive is seriously full. Seriously. Immediately run Disk Cleanup for that drive and do not attempt to uninstll anything until you have say 100MB free.

Also you can delete restore points as this may be what is causing your issue. There are experts here on that; I personally have disabled them. That's sounding more likely by the second.

Old 02-14-08, 05:32 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
WinXP? When you delete a file it actually saves it to the Recycle Bin. If there isn't enough space on the drive, it won't allow you to delete.

You can bypass the recycle bin by highlighting the file you wish to delete, then holding the Shift key while pressing the Delete key. Just make sure you really want to delete the file, because it won't be available for an easy undelete.

Old 02-14-08, 07:50 AM
T
Two other options would be to burn all your data off onto a disc for now and delete it off the machine using the above methods. Or if you're on a network move some of the data to another machine, then unistall programs from the first machine.

Like core said, make sure you run disk cleanup, then it wouldn't hurt to do a defrag after you get everything off the drive that you want off.

Old 02-14-08, 03:14 PM
C
Here is a link to Microsoft's page on how to delete files without them going to the recycle bin. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320031
Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: