Do they make this - KVM?

Old 02-23-08, 09:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do they make this - KVM?

Hello,
I've noticed that KVMs come in many varieties, so perhaps what I'll describe will be referred to as a KVM. Anyway...

I am purchasing a new Mac Mini that I would like to put it with my entertainment center. Ideal, I will connect the audio out to my stereo and a video out to my HDTV. The Mac Mini's remote makes it ideal for this. I have a wireless keyboard/mouse, so I can web-surf from the couch .

Additionally, however, we often need to do "serious" computer work (and don't want to take up the TV). I already have another monitor that I would like to setup at a desk, but I would like it to use the same cpu. Do they make a device that would split the one DVI output of the mac giving me one local dvi signal for my hdtv and the other to go to my monitor? Ideal, as the desk monitor is 50 ft away, the remote video signal would be transmitted via wired (or wireless?) LAN - Cat5 cable.

Thanks,
Guy

Old 02-23-08, 01:22 PM
R
The only thing I can suggest to do would be to use the DVI to VGA adapter and connect that to your DVI connector on the Mac. Then run a VGA cable to any KVM Box. From the KVM, one VGA cable can go to your computer monitor, and one can go to your HD TV Monitor. If your HD TV Monitor does not have a VGA connector, then try placing another DVI to VGA adapter cable to the HD TV DVI connector.

I did a search and you can get a KVM box. Here is one place.

http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/ext-usb-2x1.html

Old 02-24-08, 06:16 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gefen definitely makes exactly what you're looking for, but the Gefen web site seems to be down at the moment.

Old 02-24-08, 10:14 AM
R
Just thought of this. Since you have a wireless mouse and a wireless keyboard, the only thing you need is a switch box. No need for a KVM box, since you don't need to switch the keyboard and mouse. There are many DVI Switch boxes out there. That should solve your problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: