Accelerator changes IE settings

Old 03-01-08, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Accelerator changes IE settings

I live in an area where dial-up is the only method of surfing other than Sat. The problem is that when I use an accelerator the settings in my IE7 are changed from "automatically detect settings" to that requiring a "proxy server". When the accelerator does this change, I will get a message in my browser that the page I am trying to access that says "404 page is not available". I can go into the tools on IE and reset from the "proxy server" back to "automatically detect settings" and I will be able to access the page by clicking on the refresh button. Is there a way to prevent this change?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-08, 09:59 AM
From what I've heard, an accelerator can actually make dialup seem faster. If I were you, I would see why it's not working.

Maybe the proxy server address that it is putting in is not correct. Or is it putting a proxy server address in at all? If not, find out what it's supposed to be and put it in.

Old 03-01-08, 03:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
If I were you, I would see why it's not working.
Well, isn't that what is being asked?

Maybe the proxy server address that it is putting in is not correct. Or is it putting a proxy server address in at all? If not, find out what it's supposed to be and put it in.
There shouldn't be a proxy setting for dial-up. It should be DHCP controlled.

Have you tried using Firefox?

Old 03-01-08, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
Well, isn't that what is being asked?
Nope, he was asking how to keep it from changing IE settings.

Web accelerators use proxy servers to cache web data to increase page loading speed.

Old 03-02-08, 02:02 AM
If you disable the proxy settings then you are just disabling the accelerator. If you are doing this you might as well uninstall the accelerator altogether.

I would check the help documentation for the company that made the accelerator. A 404 does not indicate a proxy error. It may be that you need to supply a username and password for the accelerator first. They _shouldn't_ be using 404 for this purpose but that doesn't mean they aren't.

When you receive the 404 message what URL appears in the location bar? The site you were trying to get to, or a different one? It's possible you got ahold of an old version of the accelerator. They are trying to redirect you to a login page, but have since changed their site and now the page has moved elsewhere.

Does this happen with all sites or just a few? Some sites block adult content and such.

Is this a reputable accelerator? There are many "accelerators" which are simply spyware. If such an app were to encounter a problem it might simply return a 404 regardless of the real underlying reason.

Lots of possibilities here.

-core

Old 03-03-08, 07:12 AM
When I get the 404 page not available, all of the pages, sites, etc. even my sign on home page give the same message until I change it back. I have been watching the proxy information and it is currently working properly with the proxy checked. I can tell when the accelerator is and is not working and it currently is up and running properly. I wll try to capture any information that I get when the pages will not display.

Old 03-07-08, 09:16 AM
My dial up company was just sold to a different provider. The new company has a different accelerator and I have installed it. This accelerator has changed my settings to proxy servers and is working the way I expect it to and have not experienced any 404 page not availables since installation. Thanks for the help.