How to password protect a drive or folder??

Old 03-02-08, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to password protect a drive or folder??

I have installed another drive in my desktop computer because I was running out of storage space. It is running as the slave. I am running Windows XP also.

My question is this.. How can I restrict access to this drive so that only the administrator which is me and no other users can access it. I was thinking password or something like that. I don't see where you can password an entire drive.

Even if I could just password or limit access to the folders in the drive would be fine by me. thanks for any help that you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-08, 02:31 PM
Right-click the drive, select 'Properties', then go to the 'Security' tab. I don't know what kind of user groups you have set up, so what appears there depends. You will want to start out by selecting 'Everyone' and unchecking all the 'Allow' boxes.

That's a start anyway. I'd have to play around with it some to give you a step-by-step -- my security profiles are quite convoluted.

You can also do the same thing with individual files or folders instead, if you wish.

Old 03-02-08, 04:08 PM
I'd download and consider Truecrypt .

Old 03-02-08, 04:10 PM
if I open the properties for that drive, which is (F) drive there is no tab for security. if I open the properties for any of the folders in that drive where there are gereral, sharing and customize tabs at the top and open there is a box for "make this folder private" but it is gray and I am unable to put a check mark in it. Hopefully you can keep giving me info and I can answer questions. thanks for trying.

Old 03-02-08, 08:58 PM
Is it XP home or pro?

Old 03-03-08, 06:33 AM
Computer is running XP home edition

Old 03-03-08, 08:49 AM
You can go into the properties of the folder and under the sharing tab, click make folder private. Your drive will have to be formatted as NTFS and you will have to have a password set for your initial login to windows.

I believe that doing it this way, will still allow others to see the files listed in the folder, but they won't be able to access them.

You may want to look at a third party application for actually passwording the folder to prevent "view" access.