Real Player Paimn In The Neck!

Old 03-04-08, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Real Player Paimn In The Neck!

Maybe someone can help steer me in the right direction regarding this problem. Somewhere, somehow, Real Player 10 was installed on this computer which is a Dell XPS 2600, P66, running Win 98SSE. This is now used mostly for e-mail and F.S. GAMES!
This Real Player has evidently become designated as the default reader for some types of files. The problem is that the reader is converting files that are pertinent to the games functioning, and are document type files, to media type files. These media files are therefore unreadable by the game programming causing the game to close.
I have tried opening the files in Notepad and re-saving them but they always revert to the media file format. When I try to open with the Mouse Right click / properties it asks for the location of wmplayer.exe. which was never the problem before.
Where would the call for Real Player to be designated the "default reader" be located. Can I revert these files to their original format without the laborious process of reinstalling? I have tried cutting and pasting the files from another backup file and the same result, they get converted to media files. I have had the game running for 6 years with no problems and now this.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-08, 03:38 PM
Something isn't making sense here. Sure, RealPlayer probably set itself as the default reader for these file types but that should have _no_ effect on your game. RealPlayer also does not "convert" anything in this manner. Just because it says 'media file' doesn't mean it is.

If I say make a foolish mistake set RealPlayer to be the default reader for .txt files, I will not be able to double click the files to open them. But notepad will still open them fine. Similarly, your game should be able to read them file if you start the game FIRST. (Not by double-clicking on a saved game file, etc.)

What is the extension on the files in question? And what game is it? What exactly happens when you start the game .exe?

-core

Old 03-04-08, 05:23 PM
Real Player? Yeesh! Uninstall it. Your file associations should revert to the game's files. There is no reason in today's computing world to have any of the various versions of RA on your computer.

Old 03-04-08, 05:46 PM
Core;
Exactly, it doesn't make sense! As stated, I had the game working for six years and then this and it is Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2. When it is started it states that the scenery.cfg file is unreadable. Before this that file was in document format. I loaded the original onto a Flash Drive, plugged it into this computer and copied it over. Bingo! certain documents with the .cfg extension are converted to media files which the program can't read.
When I start the game it is always from a fresh start not a restart of a saved game.( Does that sentence make sense?:-) )

Old 03-04-08, 05:55 PM
Well that's a little more info at least. But curiouser and curiouser. RealPlayer shouldn't be associating itself with .cfg no matter what.

When you say it is "converted to a media file" what do you mean? Does the file extension change? To what? .rm or .ram? What is _inside_ the file after this supposed conversion? Is this renaming files or changing contents? Or both?

At least uninstall RealPlayer first but I do not think that is going to solve your problem.

Ah wait perhaps the flash drive has something to do with this, or just the act of copying it. (I'm thinking explorer hook-type stuff.) But still need more info before I can start making guesses.

Old 03-04-08, 06:00 PM
Rick;
That is what I am thinking of doing.

Old 03-04-08, 06:04 PM
You know, the more I think about this the more I think it might not have anything nothing to do with RealPlayer. (Besides the fact that it changes what you see, and that is some source of confusion here.)

Copying a scenery.cfg file from another machine with a different path layout won't necessarily work. Do you have any way to reinstall the game? That would be the first thing I'd try, before hacking at files. If you have heavily customized your copy then that might not be an option, but that in itself could be a source of problems too.

Old 03-04-08, 07:50 PM
Core

This has me stumped also. I tried doing a complete reinstall to another drive on the same computer and the same thing happened! At a loss here over this. I took out RealPlayer and am waiting for something else to finish then I will shut down and restart, but don't lose to much sleep over this but would be interesting as to why.
As to the flash drives. I have used some of the files back and forth before with no problem. All this is within the last week when I haven't mucked at all with this machine.

Old 03-12-08, 07:50 PM
Realplayer

Well, I disabled Realplayer ( what a misnomer, s/b be Realpain) and restarted. Then had the computer recognize Windows media and everything now works. The designed programs I was working with now recognize the needed files and I can proceed in what I started before this started. Advice, If you have Realplayer disable it! ( just my humble opinion.)

Old 03-14-08, 12:52 PM
I'd recommend uninstalling RealPlayer whether you think you're having problems with it or not. It slows down just about every PC it is on, even when it isn't being used. Real Aternative will play all the same files and is much nicer.