On or Off?

Old 03-06-08, 08:26 AM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
On or Off?

I know that we have discussed to death the question of leaving the computer on or turning it off but this is about monitors.

I have two Samsung LCD monitors. One of my computers is used only once or twice a week while the other is used every day. I never turn off the monitors because without any signal they go blank anyway.

So the question is...should I turn the monitor off when I turn the computer off?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-08, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Look at the spec sheet for the monitor and see what its power consumption is in the hibernation state, if you think its good then leave it on.

Old 03-06-08, 10:56 AM
As long as it's going into standby mode, all that you need to worry about is power consumption, which will be very minute. Either way it won't hurt.

Old 03-06-08, 11:04 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not sure this will apply to a LCD monitor, I have an old tube type Sony.

Anyway, with the screen on it uses ~113 watts. In the power saving mode it drops to 1 watt.

Baldwin

Old 03-07-08, 04:15 AM
My ancient Philips 17" CRT has roughly the same power draws. Except for power failures it hasn't been off in six years. The biggest reason is it violently degausses when the power is first turned on. That's extremely rough on the components.

Old 03-07-08, 08:12 AM
But fortunately that's only relevant to crt monitors....not lcd.

Old 03-07-08, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
But fortunately that's only relevant to crt monitors....not lcd.
You're absolutely right.

I was replying to Baldwin's post and neglected to quote it. My bad.

Old 03-07-08, 05:36 PM
If my piano-black Samsung LCD doesn't need to be turned on/off, then what's the bold silver button with blue LED backlighting for, huh? Looks?

Hm.

Old 03-07-08, 06:02 PM
Same thing that button on your TV is for. To turn it off if you want to. The standby power usage of an LCD is next to nothing, but it you really wanted to eliminate it you could switch it off.

Furthermore it only goes into standby when the signal is removed. If you just let Windows idle out you're using say 10 mins of power that you do not need. Or perhaps you have a monitor connected to a server or home automation device and you need to turn it on once in a while to look for console errors.

Nobody said the button was useless.

Old 03-07-08, 10:03 PM
Was being facetious.

Funny, I agree an LCD needn't be switched off, yet I just can't stop doing it. A little voice nags turn things off when you're done with them.

Which will be the first brave manufacturer to omit a front power button?

Old 03-07-08, 11:53 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

I looked at the (lousy) documentation for the monitor but couldn't find any listed power draw. Since both computers (and their monitors) are on a dedicated line I could open the CB panel and use a clamp-on ammeter...if I really wanted to know the standby power.

What I really wanted to know is if I was shortening the lifespan of the monitors by operating the way I do. As I understand the responses I am not.

Old 03-08-08, 03:42 AM
It's gonna be less than 1W, no need to measure it. (You don't have a Kill-A-Watt? Much easier than opening your panel.)

The only _possible_ way you'd shorten the life of your monitors, and I mean _possible_, is if you had something jiggling your mouse all day causing the thing to kick on and off. Such as your cat brushing against your mouse, pesky earthquakes, etc. With an LCD I'd say worst case that would just waste a little extra energy, no harm done.

Old 03-08-08, 11:44 AM
No, I don't have a plug-in portable wattmeter but I do have one of these:
http://www.loadcontrols.com/downloads/PPC3datasheet.pdf

Also several clamp-on ammeters.

And as for opening the CB panel...I have some work to do in there anyway so it isn't like I would open it just to measure the draw on this one circuit.

Thanks.