modem problems

Old 03-08-08, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question modem problems

hello i have a computer that came from a network of computers that have a learning class program on them. they were like for a large company training course. anyway i add and removed the training classes. they have windows xp pro on them. i installed a modem by creative its called a modem blaster external. but i cant get it to log on. i was wondering is there something i need to do to the resgistery or set up or something so it knows to connect with a dial up modem instead of how ever it connected with the network. i could use some help please. im not that computer smart but i know there just has to be a way. i just dont know it. does any one out there?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-08, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thatsthat9 View Post
hello i have a computer that came from a network of computers that have a learning class program on them. they were like for a large company training course. anyway i add and removed the training classes. they have windows xp pro on them. i installed a modem by creative its called a modem blaster external. but i cant get it to log on. i was wondering is there something i need to do to the resgistery or set up or something so it knows to connect with a dial up modem instead of how ever it connected with the network. i could use some help please. im not that computer smart but i know there just has to be a way. i just dont know it. does any one out there?
If you look at the properties of Internet Explorer, under the Connections tab, there you should see your modem. If not, add the device.

The other possibility could be where your modem is set with a com port other than that of your computer. Most default installations of XP have Com 1 & Com 2. If for example your modem is set for com 9, and you have it plugged in to the com 2 port, then try the following:

Do properties of My Computer.
Select the hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
Scroll down to the Ports (Com & LPT) selection and click on the + sign. There you should see Com 1 & Com 2 along with your printer port.
Select Com 2 (example) and look at its properties.
Click on the Port Settings tab, then click the Advanced button.
From there you can change the Com port from 2 to 9 (example).
Click all the ok's then try it out by using Hyper terminal which is located in the All Programs, Accessories, Communications.
Do the AT <return key> to see if you have communication or not.