monitor blacking out-

Old 03-13-08, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
monitor blacking out-

Hello-
I have a Dell Dimension 4700 running XP, with a Dell 19" monitor.
On occasion the monitor will go black suddenly. It will then sort of blink dimly every so often and the power light will flash rapidly from green to amber.
I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable several times. I have also opened up the case to see if I could easily find the video card so I could pull that out and reset it, but all that seems to be removable is the RAM boards.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Jan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-08, 11:38 AM
Do you have another monitor you could connect to the pc to try out. I have a feeling it's the monitor. Is it still under warranty?

Old 03-13-08, 01:22 PM
I'll see if I can switch with someone. A few days ago it wouldn't work at all until I hooked it up to a different computer- then it worked fine! That's why I thought it might be the video card.

Old 03-13-08, 01:24 PM
You may have a bad cable from the monitor to the computer.
The blinking power light indicates no signal. If there is no signal, then you will have no picture. Carefully wiggle the cable that goes from the monitor to the computer. If you notice that the picture goes away then comes back, it is the cable.

Not sure about your motherboard, but another suggestion would be to put a video card in and turn off the integrated video in the bios.

Then again, it could be the monitor itself as Toofer pointed out.

Old 03-13-08, 01:36 PM
I'll second rbwest's suggestion about the cable (or associated connections). Wiggling it would have been my suggestion but just because you are not able to "wiggle it working" does not mean the cable is not bad. There are a _lot_ of conductors in there; you might really have to manhandle the thing to see any sort of result. But especially be suspect of the connection points on both sides. (Are you using a monitor extension cable?)

Old 03-13-08, 01:53 PM
No, I'm not using an extension. I will try moving the cable around and check out the connectors.
So there is no separate video card on these machines?

thanks,
Jan

Old 03-13-08, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by conodigi View Post
No, I'm not using an extension. I will try moving the cable around and check out the connectors.
So there is no separate video card on these machines?

thanks,
Jan
On a lot of machines no, it is just built into the motherboard. But it can be bypassed by putting a video card in one of the expansion slots.