wireless?

Old 03-16-08, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question wireless?

what do i need, to eliminate the phone cord ,from the wall to the p/c?
i have a 5yr old e-machines p/c (t2542)/with an available(not used/ self installed - linskys ethernet port)
verizon broad band (over the phone line)
hard wired - net gear- router

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-08, 09:01 PM
There is no reason to make a desktop machine wireless. There would actually be more disadvantages than advantages by doing that. There are issues with speed (which probably aren't that big of deal) and the issue of security, not to mention more complicated setup.

Unless there is a specific reason to do so, I would leave the machine wired.

Old 03-17-08, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The advantage of wireless is mostly for laptop use and network periphery such as printers. You will need one of your desktops hardwired for diagnostic purposes anyway. If it is your only computer, hardwire it directly from your modem.

Old 03-17-08, 05:25 AM
All you need is a router with wireless capability, and a wireless card for the computer. There is nothing wrong with using wireless on a desktop. I just wouldn't do any banking or purchasing with it.

Old 03-17-08, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
I just wouldn't do any banking or purchasing with it.

Hence a great reason not to do wireless on a machine that will probably sit in the same place the rest of it's life anyway. Like I said, unless there is a specific reason to do wireless, I would not.

Old 03-17-08, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Never had phone line broadband, but am I missing something here? Doesn't Telco BB require some sort of modem/router? It can't be going thru the std modem in the pc, can it? Then the external modem/router connects to the pc with an ethernet cable? Or do they install a BB card in the case? As you can probably tell, I've always had cable.

Maybe that phone cord from the wall to the pc is no longer required at all?

Come on one of you guru's, I'm too old to keep up with all these new fangled gadgets...lol.

Old 03-17-08, 11:02 AM
DSL is just like cable, only slower.
You still have a modem that plugs into the wall phone outlet.

Old 03-17-08, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Thx Oneof

At least I know I'm not that far out of the loop.

So what the OP was saying, if he has a phone line directly to the PC, it's probably not req'd as there should be a line to his DSL modem.

At least thats how I read it. Not sure how he's connected then, as he says his ethernet port is unused?

Guess theres just some incomplete info there.

Old 03-17-08, 11:53 AM
I'm sure he's referring to the network cable from the modem/router to his pc.

Old 03-17-08, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
toofer

Maybe so, but if so...boy thats a lot of wrong terminology.

phone cord vs network cable?

wall vs modem?

Thats why I was confused....course that happens more and more lately...lol

Old 03-17-08, 09:31 PM
DSL is much like cable internet, from a connection perspective, the only difference what sort of cable you use to connect to the wall. The Ethernet side will connect the same in either case.
You will get an external modem more than likely. Internal DSL modems are rare.

Old 03-19-08, 01:05 PM
As long as it is secured properly, there aren't any remotely likely security issues with wireless. Wireless speeds are still far faster than the average home broadband connection.

Old 03-19-08, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by txrxio View Post
As long as it is secured properly, there aren't any remotely likely security issues with wireless. Wireless speeds are still far faster than the average home broadband connection.
You've obviously not researched wireless security much. If someone knows what they are doing, wireless encryption can be broken, WPA is more secure than WEP, but nothing is perfect.

Old 03-19-08, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by txrxio View Post
Want to risk your credit with that statement? I can point you to countless instances of wireless being broken. I can even show you how it's done, but I won't go that far.

Old 03-19-08, 08:14 PM
i ask a simple questuion,very posible- i did not word it correctly,yes the phone cord is to the dsl modem.I am sorry,but I guessed all you "gurus" would have assumed that!
my being a newbie,I just wanted a answer.
from the chat ,I guess that "wireless" is not what I want , for banking/c.c. purchase any way.
thanks for your time!
MIKE

Old 03-20-08, 07:12 AM
We all knew the phone cord was going to the modem.
It's just not the greatest idea to make your desktop wireless.

Old 03-20-08, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
You've obviously not researched wireless security much. If someone knows what they are doing, wireless encryption can be broken, WPA is more secure than WEP, but nothing is perfect.
I never said it was perfect. Using a credit card online with a hardwired connection is no more secure, although if you are storing sensitive documents on your PC then you should probably be a bit more security conscious.

Old 03-20-08, 12:52 PM
I don't want to hijack the thread, but in a typical home wireless setup (where the router is connected to the desktop PC by a cable, but wirelessly transmits to a notebook), it is safe to use the desktop pc for purchases, financial transactions, etc? And is WPA encryption, combined with MAC addresss filtering, sufficient security if one wants to engage in those activities with their notebook?

Old 03-20-08, 01:08 PM
This whole deal about not using wireless for banking and purchases is absolute nonsense. Such information is not sent in cleartext over the wire anyway. If you want to talk about breaking SSL then that's another matter. If the site is not using any type of encryption then you'd be better off buying from another vendor.

If you think using a wired connection means nobody can see your traffic, think again. Packet sniffing was around long before 802.11 wireless was even dreamt up.

-core

P.S. The weakest link security-wise in a credit card purchase is what happens after you send the card number to their server. Some businesses actually have the server send a plaintext email containing the order details (including credit card number) to the site owner. And then there's the issue about having the number in their database. And so on and so on. All of which you have no control over.

Old 03-20-08, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, but in a typical home wireless setup (where the router is connected to the desktop PC by a cable, but wirelessly transmits to a notebook), it is safe to use the desktop pc for purchases, financial transactions, etc? And is WPA encryption, combined with MAC addresss filtering, sufficient security if one wants to engage in those activities with their notebook?

Safe is kind of a relative term here. If you live out in the country where no one lives within a half mile from you, then yes it's safe, heck it'd be safe with no wireless security (so long as no unmarked vans are hanging around your driveway). Is it safe in most neighbor hoods, yeah probably, most people aren't smart enough/don't care about hacking the neighbors wireless connection and stealing their CC info. But the sad part is, you never know.

WPA is fairly secure, but can still be broken. MAC address filtering can help a little, but even MAC addresses can be spoofed.

Originally Posted by txrxio
I never said it was perfect. Using a credit card online with a hardwired connection is no more secure, although if you are storing sensitive documents on your PC then you should probably be a bit more security conscious.
Sorry, wrong again. A hard wired connection is WAY more secure than a wireless connection. Anything that is transmitted through the air can be snagged by someone else, and decoded if they have the right tools. If a machine is hardwired, you'd basically have to be plugged into the same switch as the users computer, or go to great lengths to hack into their network. Not saying it's not possible, just a WHOLE lot harder than hopping on a wireless signal.

And to answer eclipses other question, yes it is safe to do banking and such on a computer that is hardwired, even if there is a wireless laptop attached to the router. Now that is of course considering there is a good measure of security applied to the wireless connection (still not as secure as having no wireless, but it's better than doing it directly on the laptop).

To stay safer, always make sure you're using at least WPA or WPA2, DO NOT use WEP. It's too easy to break. For maximum effectiveness of the WPA encryption, make sure you have a passphrase that is at least 20 characters in length. If you're really paranoid, web into your router and kill the wireless radio while you do banking on your wired machine.

Old 03-20-08, 08:29 PM
!WOW! -this "alot of info ,that I was not aware of"
thanks
I still think i should re do te phone cord proplem /to a jack on the wall / where the p/c is. instead of going the wireless-route/ do most - agree?
mike

Old 03-24-08, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
Sorry, wrong again. A hard wired connection is WAY more secure than a wireless connection. Anything that is transmitted through the air can be snagged by someone else, and decoded if they have the right tools.
I'd seriously question the mentality of someone who had the resources to decrypt a secure transaction if they hang around outside peoples houses and wait for someone to order from Amazon. It can be done, but anyone with those technical resources would be stealing much more money in much easier ways. It's a question of likelyhood.

Old 03-24-08, 04:14 PM
It's also a question of one of the neighborhood kids trying it, just to see how it's done. Once the kid figures it out, (which is not hard to do) the whole neighborhood is game.

No, I do not think all kids are going to try this, but enough of them will do it. Many virii are written by grade school kids, so why should they stop there.

I always recommend NEVER do financial work on wireless.

Old 03-25-08, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
It's also a question of one of the neighborhood kids trying it, just to see how it's done. Once the kid figures it out, (which is not hard to do) the whole neighborhood is game.

No, I do not think all kids are going to try this, but enough of them will do it. Many virii are written by grade school kids, so why should they stop there.

I always recommend NEVER do financial work on wireless.
I still don't understand why you think all wireless encryption is so easily cracked and why you would "NEVER" do any financial work over it.
First, as was mentioned earlier, any "financial" website will be secured using encryption, regardless of your type of connection. Second, as far as I understand, WPA can only be cracked using a brute force attack, so it will be as secure as your passphrase. So if you choose something simple like "password" it could be cracked easily, but if you use a random 64 character phrase, it should be virtually impossible to crack.

Any computer connected to the internet is "vulnerable." The most important thing is to be careful and vigilant. Make sure you have up to date security patches, anti virus and anti spyware installed. Run anti virus and anti spyware scans regularly. Have all user accounts password protected. Have a router with some type of built in firewall and set it up with adequate security.

If you are more paranoid, install a quality software of more expensive hardware firewall and change your wireless keys regularly. Also encrypt or password protect any sensitive data.

Just flat out saying wireless networking is insecure and your information is wide open for anyone to view is irresponsible. People not familiar with the technology will be scared away and will repeat this incorrect information. It just has to be setup correctly and used in a smart manner.

-Mike

Old 03-25-08, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
!WOW! -this "alot of info ,that I was not aware of"
thanks
Yeah really.

So, I understand your phone cord is a bother, where it is. You want to move the jack or add one behind the computer?

Old 03-25-08, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by ironhead1230 View Post
It just has to be setup correctly and used in a smart manner.
And how many people know how to do this? You? Your neighbor that can barely use an adjustable wrench? The seniors a couple doors down? How many people on this earth are savvy enough to even know that security is an issue?

With that in mind, I tell people "Don't do it".

Old 03-25-08, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by ironhead1230 View Post
Just flat out saying wireless networking is insecure and your information is wide open for anyone to view is irresponsible. People not familiar with the technology will be scared away and will repeat this incorrect information. It just has to be setup correctly and used in a smart manner.

-Mike
That statement really makes no sense at all. People that are not familiar with wireless technology, are also not going to be familiar with how to set it up correctly and use it in a smart manner. If you just go tell them, yeah get wireless it's great, no security issues, then they go get wireless, they're not going to even think about setting up any kind of security on it. And I'd say that a good percentage of people that get wireless have no clue how to defrag their hard drive let alone setup WPA encryption with a strong passphrase on their shiny new router. That my friend, is irresponsible.

I am not trying to scare anyone away from using wireless, heck i'm typing this on a wireless laptop right now. But I am saying that if you don't need to use it, don't. There is no need of opening that security hole that doesn't really need to be open. If you have a reason you need wireless, fine, use it, just be careful with it and get someone to help you set it up correctly.

Old 03-26-08, 03:06 AM
What ironhead said makes perfect sense.

Number one, banking and purchase stuff is already SSL/TLS encrypted. It's a NON ISSUE.

Having a wireless network opens you up to all kinds of things. Welcome to the club. IF your machine is insecure in the first place.

But to say you should avoid doing certain things while wirelessly connected is sheer nonsense.

I can't sniff your SSL-encrypted financial traffic but I can put a keylogger on your machine while you're visiting your favorite cartoon site and I'll have your password later. Get it?

oneofamill- It isn't about any knowledge that Joe Shmoe has, it's about SSL/TLS. Why don't you learn a bit about it and come back then after you've intercepted a few packets?

Old 03-26-08, 08:07 AM
Ok, scenario.

Ironhead tells his parents to get wireless and that they don't need to worry about any kind of encryption because it's not really that big of a deal. So they get it set up, unsecured of course and start using it. Unbeknownst to them, the neighbor boy is quite the "computer genius" and decides to have a look at their network. The boy installs a keylogger remotely on the machine and captures their passwords for...well...whatever he wants. No need to crack SSL or anything else, he just walks right in.

This is obviously considering there is no encryption on the network, but there are ALOT of people out there that don't have encrpytion set up, because they don't know any better and they don't understand the risks.

Old 03-26-08, 03:03 PM
And in that same scenario, avoiding doing your financial work over the air would not help either.

You can either throw your access point away for good or get your boxes somewhat secured. But changing your browsing habits a bit isn't going to do the trick. That's all I'm saying.

Old 03-26-08, 04:52 PM
*ahem*
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, but...
i ask a simple questuion...
i should re do te phone cord proplem /to a jack on the wall / where the p/c is?
Yes. Regardless of the wireless security debate. The best solution is to have a wall jack near the PC & desk, so you don't have phone/internet cords running around. Same goes for power too. A computer system is a major appliance here to stay, and deserves well-placed outlets/jacks just as much as a stove or fridge does.

A common solution for extra jacks is to run the phone line out an exterior wall, along the house (you can paint it, people hardly notice), then back in. They're often buried under baseboards too.