Periodic loss of connection

Old 03-16-08, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Periodic loss of connection

I have a DSL modem that runs through a D-Link router. On a regular basis, I lose connectivity. The only way to re-establish connectivity is to turn off the modem and unplug the router for a period of time, and then turn the modem back on and plug the router back up. Why do I keep losing connectivity for no apparent reason?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-08, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
I have a wireless modem that happens to be the same frequency as a cordless phone I own.
The modem looses connection when the phone rings or is in use.

Could be your problem as well?

Old 03-17-08, 04:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you are having to reboot both the router and the modem, then it sounds as if you have an initial signal problem. Have you determined your SNR (Signal to noise ratio)? If it is low, then you are either on the fringe area of DSL, or you may not have all your phone lines filtered.

Old 03-17-08, 08:19 PM
How do I check my SNR?

How do I check my snr?

Old 03-18-08, 08:55 AM
You buy a $1,000 piece of equipment, then another $2,000 for the training. Or, call your DSL provider, which is what chandler should have said in the first place.

Old 03-18-08, 12:00 PM
Your DSL modem should be able to give you all kinds of juicy stats. Either hit it's IP address with a web browser or log directly into the modem.

My connection here at home does the exact same thing if I overload the thing. I have just given up and learned to live with it. Then again I have cheap equipment. I've heard that using port forwarding and DMZ host settings can make matters worse -- both of which I need.

Old 03-18-08, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
You buy a $1,000 piece of equipment, then another $2,000 for the training. Or, call your DSL provider, which is what chandler should have said in the first place.
Chandler is right, but didn't go into detail.

Type 192.168.1.1 into the Internet Explorer Address Bar and navigate your way to the Diagnostics section of your DSL modem/router. The signal-to-noise ratio (a.k.a. SNR and S/N) at the input of the modem is displayed on your computer screen. For free.

Old 03-18-08, 06:58 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Late getting in. Thanks Rick. I would have never suggested anyone spend that kind of money on diagnostic equipment just to determine a snr you can do for free. But I'll try to do better.