Cannot read hard drive via IDE bracket

Old 03-17-08, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cannot read hard drive via IDE bracket

I had two identical Compaq Presario laptops, one came preloaded with XP Home, the other I loaded XP Pro on.

The monitor died on the XP Pro one so I thought "no problem", I took out the H/D and chucked the machine.

I then remembered there was one file I forgot to back up so I took my IDE bracket (a unit that you can plug any IDE device into and it will connect to your laptop via firewire and PCI card), slapped on an adapter to convert the laptop hard drive to an IDE that the bracket can read, and plugged the firewire from the IDE bracket into the good laptop (XP Home).

I detects that there is a drive there and no errors are displayed but I cannot see the files?

any ideas?

TIA,

-Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-08, 08:21 AM
Is it not seeing any files? or just not the ones you're wanting?

Were your files encrypted?

Old 03-17-08, 09:14 AM
It's recognizing an E:\ drive and not producing any error messages but if I click on it, I just get a long delay and see no (0) files or folders, nothing.

Old 03-17-08, 09:18 PM
If the file is very important, Spinrite may be worth it.

Old 03-18-08, 08:11 AM
I do need the file but what is Spinrite?

-Mike

Old 03-18-08, 08:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Disk utility. Google it.

Old 03-18-08, 04:53 PM
How is the adapter powering the hard drive?

You may need to plug in some external power for your adapter/drive.

Older laptop hard drives (IDE) get power through their data cables. SATA drives can also get power through thier data cables, depending on the flavor.

I'm not familair with Firewire, but does the adapter require drivers to be loaded for it?

Old 03-18-08, 06:25 PM
If the OS looks only for NTFS and it's a FAT drive, or if the machine wants to look only for FAT and the drive has been formatted as NTFS, you need to find a machine that's compatible with the file structure of the drive.

Since you mentioned it's only one file, just attach it to an e-mail to yourself from one machine to the other. (Send it on one machine and put it to sleep. Wake up the next morning and download the email on the other machine.)

Old 03-19-08, 02:57 PM
Both systems are NTFS

I can't even get to the file to email it. If I bring up a command prompt it won't take me to E:

The adapter brings power supply from the bracket. I can hear the drive spinning, power's not the issue.

I got a copy of Spinrite, I'll try that. It's a PITA though since you have to create a bootable CD and then run the utility and there's no guarantee that it can read what's plugged into the PCI slot. If it works I'll pay the fee.

Old 03-19-08, 05:57 PM
Spinrite didn't do jack.

I created a bootable CD but at whatever level Spinrite is run, it doesn't recognize the PCI input.

So I'm thinking Spinrite is only good for the hard drive on the machine itself, not something else plugged in via PCI.

Now when I plug it in and try to read through regular windows I get: "Error performing inpage operation" instead of just hanging there.

So now I'm out of ideas short of paying Micro Center to do it for me, ouch!

Old 03-19-08, 06:27 PM
If your laptops were identical, why not remove the original drive from the working laptop and replace it with the drive from the other machine? Boot the machine and then copy the file onto a floppy, CD, or flashdrive. Then put the original drive back in.

Nashcat

Old 03-20-08, 09:10 AM
The machines are identical with the exception that the working one is XP Home while the discarded one (that I pulled the unreadable Hard Drive from) was XP Pro

My only reservation with that method is that historically anytime you take anything out of a laptop, the whole laptop fails to function from the point forward.

Also I'm wondering, if the hard drive is unreadable in it's current state, how would making it the primary boot device make it readable?

Old 03-20-08, 12:25 PM
Have you considered the possibility that the drive is bad?

Old 03-20-08, 05:02 PM
oh I don't doubt that it is bad. The question is, what are the options (if any) of recovering a few files off an overall bad drive?

Old 03-20-08, 06:58 PM
Now there are a few files? You said there was one in your original post: "I then remembered there was one file I forgot to back up..."

It's time to bite the bullet and pay a restoration service.

Old 03-21-08, 08:19 AM
ok I was being greedy.

There is only one that I need, the others are only "nice-to-have"s

Old 03-21-08, 11:04 PM
You stated that the monitor went out on the laptop, so you took out the hard drive. Was the hard drive working up to this point? If you have access to a desktop computer, you can get an adapter cable to connect the laptop drive directly to the motherboard of the desktop computer.

Old 03-22-08, 09:23 AM
no desktop, no nothing,

all I got is a laptop with a IDE bracket that goes to a PCI slot

guess I'll either take a chance on putting the bad hard drive in this laptop or bite the bullet and pay to have the files restored

Old 03-22-08, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelChang View Post
ok I was being greedy.
And as I re-read my post I might have come off a bit snippy. That wasn't my intent.

Point is, if you really really need that file or files, you're probably best off not messing with your working machine. It may cost more to fix the damage that could cause than it would to pay a service.

Basic data recovery is cheap nowadays, and can probably be done at the local mom 'n' pop computer shop.

Data loss has happened to all of us. I learned my lesson and spent about $120 for two Seagate USB external drives. They get rotated between home & office every week, so the oldest backup is 14 days. It happens on Saturday nights while I'm asleep. Not a whole lot of new data in 14 days, but there's plenty of "stuff" I've had since 1993 that I like to roll around with every now & then.

Old 03-22-08, 09:22 PM
Dude, no problem at all, as you can imagine I've been told/called much worse : )

but wrt the bracket, I'm usually much better about backing up my data but this particular crash happened to occur right between USB backups so ...

It's not so much the cost of the data backup, it's the two trips to micro center (drop off and pick up) that I dread

looks like that's my only option

Old 03-23-08, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by MichaelChang View Post
all I got is a laptop with a IDE bracket that goes to a PCI slot
I'm having a hard time imagining this. You sure this equipment even works?

Find someone with a desktop to try the drive in.

Old 03-23-08, 03:24 PM
The IDE bracket is a device that has a multi-pin cable along with a power supply which allows any desktop device (heard drive, CD-ROM drive, etc.) to be plugged in.

A firewire goes from the bracket to the PCI card slot in a laptop.

I bought this because I had a DVD burner in a desktop that I wanted to run from my laptop.

When plugging in a laptop hard drive, I use an adapter that allows the power supply to be plugged in along with a pin converter so the bracket can read the laptop hard drive.

I've used this methodology to read laptop hard drives before, of course those were properly working

Old 03-30-08, 07:55 AM
Here's a trick I've heard works in some cases of a bad hard drive, but never tried--
Seal it up in a ziplock bag and stick in the freezer overnight. Then hook it up to your adapter "bracket" and see if it works.

More info and ideas here