Problem configuring internet access

Old 03-24-08, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem configuring internet access

Hi Guys,

I junked my Emachines because I suspected a bad motherboard/IDE connection was the cause of repeated system crashes on various different hard drives.

Now I'm trying to set up an old Dell Optiplex 170L which I had laying around. XP loads up fine but the automatic internet access option doesn't seem to work and it won't let me enter the 5 or 6 settings to manually configure my internet access. I had thought that the Dell was a standard PC but now I'm thinking that it may have been a server or something like that, and that maybe that's the reason for the internet set up configuration problem.
Is anyone knowledgeable enough about this stuff to know if it makes a difference?

For me it is kind of a screwy situation because I never had a problem manually entering the settings when I was using the Emachine.

Thanks,

Mo

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-08, 05:11 PM
Are you using that Dell PC as you access this site.
Do you use modem or cable?
Which ISP are you using?
Why do you have to change settings in your modem?
Why did you have so many different HDD on your E-Machine?

Old 03-24-08, 06:07 PM
Received 113 Votes on 103 Posts
Are you logged on as an administrator?

Old 03-26-08, 10:14 PM
Aramis, Did you solve this yet?

Windows does not care if your machine is a "Server". It's still just a computer, and XP will treat it as such.

I suggest your first determine if your networking is working at all. Check Device Manager and verify that your Network Adapter is functioning. If so, then get to a command prompt and run "ipconfig /all". It should show you its TCP/IP info - IP address, gateway, DNS servers, etc...

If you see any problems in these items, that's where you should focus first. If these check out, then are you saying you can't open the properties dialog for your network adapter? Are you connecting directly to the Internet (DSL, Cable, Dial-up?), or are you going through a router?

Old 03-27-08, 08:55 AM
Doruho,
It turned out that my Resource CD (the drivers & utilities) was the wrong one for this PC. Right now I'm looking for the correct CD, designated for the Dell Optiplex 170L. At the office, I went to the Dell website and downloaded drivers designated for this PC but it's a royal pain trying to figure out the exact components in the PC to decide which driver is appropriate. So I think I'll take the easy way out and try getting the CD which is designated for the 170L.

Mo

Old 03-27-08, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I've had those times when I go to download drivers from Dell and they show you every possible option.

If you go to Dell.com and then to their Support page, under Browse by Category choose System Configuration, select the Original System Configuration tab, and enter the Service Tag number. It should tell you what is on that machine.

If you're looking for the actual disks, This link will take you to the Dell page from which you can order replacement system disks for a Dell PC. You will need to supply the service tag number.

Good luck. I hope I've helped.

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 03-28-08 at 04:26 AM. Reason: corrected url in link
Old 03-28-08, 06:09 AM
Dell Help

One good thing is that even if your dell system is out of warranty, if you call Tech Support, they will talk you through getting this installed.

1-800-901-3355 Choose option for tech support. You will need your Service Tag or Express Service Code off the label on the computer.

This should be easy to resolve.