Factory State Could Rescue a Corrupted Word/Registry?

Old 03-29-08, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Factory State Could Rescue a Corrupted Word/Registry?

Hi:
Since early in February, Word 2000 does not respond at all. For this I attempted to rescue/cure the issue numerous times, however it's still the same, .... 'Not Responding' error message, hence I am NOT able to access Word 2000.

Wonder if I would bring the PC with Vista to the Factory State by re-installing Vista using 'restored disks/HP,' the Word 2000 could be rescued to its original state?

BTW, the other IDs in the same PC have NO issue at all. They both are able to access the Word 2000 right after clicking icon of Word 2000 on he desktop. Only mine, Adminstrator has this issue, above, not able to access Word 2000.

Also, recalling back, ... the issue, above started after Linsky Wireless Adaptor failed to
connect my ISP. As seeing this, I suspect 'Registry' for Word 2000 got lost, thus not function it at all.

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-29-08, 03:08 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I'm confused.

Are you stating that an HP computer came with Vista and Word 2000 factory installed?

I know nothing about Vista but Word 2000 is an OLD version of Word and I think it highly unlikely that it would be pre-loaded on the same computer that has Vista for its operating system.

However, if you loaded the Word 2000 onto the computer then merely uninstalling the Word 2000 and then re-installing it should cure your problem.

Do you have the Word 2000 disk and serial number?

Old 03-29-08, 03:51 PM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Forget about Word and install Open Office. It's free.
www.openoffice.org

Old 03-29-08, 03:52 PM
J
Does Vista have a PROGRAM COMPATIBILITY WIZARD?
If it does-try setting Word to 2000 & see what happens.......

Old 03-29-08, 04:22 PM
Reinstalling Word 2000 from your install discs (if you have them) as furd suggested should work.

But the important clue here is this is only affecting one user on the PC. So Word itself is fine and no compatibility setting is needed. The word registry settings for just this one Administrator account need to be fixed.

Easiest way to do this is just uninstall/reinstall Word. If you cannot for some reason then you can try attempting the registry fixes manually, but I won't get into that at this point. It's probably more effort than it's worth.

Old 03-29-08, 04:50 PM
J
Did your PC come w/ Microsoft Works pre-installed?
It works just as good as Word..............

Old 03-29-08, 09:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Compatibility is NOT issue, because other two IDs in the same PC with Vista have NO problem opening Word 2000. Only mine, Administrator got this mess, after a failure of Linsky Wireless Adaptor. In my guess, when Linsky Wireless failed to do the job, 'Registry' necessary to the Word got lost, that is similar to 'Crash' when Virus hits upon opening attachment of e-mail.

My questions is now;
(1) Is there any way for me to rescue/recover Word 2000 by digging into Registry? Is it too hard to do for a person like me who has never done that? Rather, I should try another/different route which is 'uninstasll/'reinstall?'

(2) In the case of 'reinstall' route, do I need to 'uninstall' Vista completely and then 'install' Vista by using recovery-disks?
I have an original Word 2000 disk along with its key.

Any other suggestions and imputs would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-29-08, 09:59 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Just do the uninstall of Word 2000 and then using the Word 2000 disk, re-install it.

This is the least invasive, won't harm anything and should work. Trying to repair by going into the registry can REALLY foul things up.

If removal and re-installation of Word 2000 doesn't cure the problem then you can try something else.

Old 03-30-08, 06:15 AM
Uninstall/Install, .... I did many, many times. It's NOT a simple issue, I need to say that.

It's more likely Registry fix that one of responsers suggesting, for this I need an assistance.

As I stated one of my previous posts, I may need a more drastic action which is 'uninstall/install' Vista?

Thanks,

Old 03-30-08, 09:06 AM
J
Go to my computer-drive c -program files-microsoft office-
see if you can open 2000 by clicking on any icon that looks like it might be for Word 2000 like WINWORD

Old 03-30-08, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by j HOWARD
Go to my computer-drive c -program files-microsoft office-
see if you can open 2000 by clicking on any icon that looks like it might be for Word 2000 like WINWORD
I did that, .... but it's still the same, ... 'Not responding' alert at the top of the Word 2000.

One thing of which I started thinking is that whether I can switch to another ID which can open and run Word 2000. This is actually my second ID which I've been using as my second e-mail address purpose.

If I can, ...
whether I can switch all of contents which include 'e-mail' address, not only IDs?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Old 03-30-08, 02:48 PM
J
If you have passwords on all your ID-dump them & see what happens...........

Old 03-30-08, 03:08 PM
T
Ok first off, make a new user and make it an administrator. Try running word from that and make sure it works. If it does, copy any files you need from your "my documents" folder into the new profile and then dump your old profile. Problem solved.

Old 03-31-08, 03:32 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Did you load something on the "bad" user's virtual machine that's interfering with Word?

Old 03-31-08, 05:23 AM
A
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston
Did you load something on the "bad" user's virtual machine that's interfering with Word?
This issue started after Linsky Wireless Adaptor failed to connect. Since then, I've been using a hard-wire to connect my ISP, Comcast. Then, I strongly suspect Linsky did some awful thing to the Word 2000, ... but I can not be sure to say.

After this happened, I try to avoid any 'unfamiliar' program, even hardware to hook-up my PC with Vista.

In regard to 'Linsky Adaptor,' however I admit to say that I tried many times in my attempt to connect, even though it kept refusing a connection, that ultimately wrecked the Word 2000, ... just my wild guess.

Formerly: Pine Cone

Last edited by Azalea06; 03-31-08 at 05:40 AM. Reason: due to ID transition in progress
Old 03-31-08, 06:58 AM
T
Profile for Administrator

If you can work in Word from other ID's, then probably the profile for the Administrator is bad and can easily be recreated.
Toofer said: "Ok first off, make a new user and make it an administrator. Try running word from that and make sure it works. If it does, copy any files you need from your "my documents" folder into the new profile and then dump your old profile. Problem solved."

I agree with his approach, but I would be careful because there are a few other things in the profile besides just My Documents.

Here is the path on Vista to files in your profile you may need. Just navigate to the folder and copy all (ctrl+A) and then paste either in a temporary folder or copy to the same folder under the profile of the new user you created. (You may have to be logged on as the broken user to copy the stuff out of these folders. If so, copy them to temp folder on the C:\ drive, not your desktop! Then log on as the new user and copy them to the proper place)

Profiles are stored here:
C:\Users
Look for your user name and open that folder.
C:\Users\UserName\documents
C:\Users\UserName\desktop
C:\Users\UserName\favorites
C:\Users\UserName\pictures
C:\Users\UserName\videos
C:\Users\UserName\music

Then if you are using Outlook for your email, you will want to copy these files too:
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook the *.pst files contain your email, contacts and calendar
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook Copy the files that end in .xml and .nk2 The xml file is your signature file(s) in Outlook and the .nk2 file contains the email addresses that pop up when you begin to type in the To: field.

If you have any other stuff out there like Word template files or anything like that in Office, post again and I will give you the path to retrieve them.

This is a long list of things to do, but it won't take too long. It should work.

Toofer may have more to add, but I think that is all for me. I would not delete the old profile, you may have to dig something from it. After a month or so, you should be able to delete it.

Old 03-31-08, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the detailed explanation/response. One most important thing I want to do is how to transfer my profile, ... i.e. my original name, 'PineCone' that I want to keep after change to another/new I.D.* Also, I've been participating several discussion groups, not only 'DoItYourself,' but also others, all of which I created my Screen-Name/Aliases. I do not like to make any confusion due to my 'two' different screen-names, because one of discussion groups, I'm very active, almost on daily basis.** How to keep my 'original name/screen name' on several different discussion groups even after a change to the new I.D.? Thanks,*

Old 03-31-08, 08:27 AM
J
This whole thing is starting to sound like a Steven Segal movie.
Now that you are hard wired, why don't you reformat your computer-don't install any wireless software-stop using so many names for yourself -enjoy word 2000 & relax a little...

Old 03-31-08, 04:23 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Pine Cone,
Don't confuse your online names & passwords with those you use to logon to Windows. They are -- and should be -- two completely different sets of unames and passwords.

Your online personna(s) are not in any way related to the username you choose when you logon to Windows. They are two entirely different things.

You can create any (legal) screen name you want on this and any other site. In fact, you can logon to your favorite sites from any computer as long as you know your password.

When Windows offers to "Remember Your Password", it's only a convenience. It will not change your logons to your favorite web sites, nor will it change your Windows password.

Before you continue with your Word 2000 issue, you should change all of your Windows passwords so they are different from any web destination you visit. Then change the passwords on all of the websites so each has it's own unique password.

You can continue to use the same familiar Pine Cone on the web, but you should change it for your Windows logon. As Toofer and TN have mentioned, it's best to create a new user on your Win machine.

Old 04-02-08, 01:08 PM
Up-to-date:
After few days' careful thoughts, I finally switched to the another account which is 'spare/blank account.' It took me for about half a day for completion, but it's well-worth.

Word 2000 runs very fantastically, although my original/old account in the same PC with Vista is still the same, ... 'No Responding' alerts message upon clicking it.

Besides, my screen-name, PineCone stays intact with a new password.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: