Any ideas on budget desktops?

Old 03-29-08, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any ideas on budget desktops?

Looking for best suggestions, on bare bones or otherwise, desktop computer, & os only. Looking to get by for 15 months, then replace entire setup. No gaming, just tunes and email. Next year will set up a system for college. ( I understand at that time I will most likely have to replace the barebones desktop as I'm going budget route this year.)
I'm hoping to spend $300 or little less? or am I asking for value that isnt in price range.

Thanks for any ideas in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-08, 04:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
At Circuit City
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ZT-Af...oductDetail.do
At BestBuy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1195599475252

Just look on the websites of stores near you to see what is available.

Old 03-29-08, 04:58 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
A used computer may be your best bet. I picked up an HP nc8000 notebook for $375 last month. Included XP (and disk) and a 6 month guarantee. The company I bought it from has desktops starting at $100. If you want the name of the company, PM me.

Check your local computer stores as they will often have used computers.

Old 03-29-08, 05:29 PM
No gaming, just mp3s and email? And you aren't in college yet so cost is very important? You can really get by with just about _anything_ since you aren't doing much with the machine. Just be careful about what OS you put on it.

If you want a REALLY inexpensive computer which would still be able to handle mp3s and email, you can often walk into a thrift store like Goodwill/Salvation Army and pick up very decent older machines for $25. Maybe that's a bit _too_ inexpensive for your plans though.

Old 03-30-08, 07:12 AM
If you don't need Windows...

or a new computer, try Linux which is free.
Here's a PIII for $100 with PCLinuxOS installed, which will do everything you need:
Refurbished IBM Net Vista Desktop with PCLinuxOS
You'll need to find a monitor for this, best bought locally as shipping is high.

Or like others suggest, get a 'puter locally and you can install Linux yourself.

Old 03-30-08, 07:19 AM
you can search eBay for items within a certain distance

I found a dell p4 with winxp pro and office for 90.00 no shipping local pickup from a local seller a few months back to replace my dads computer

usable bargains are out there if you look a bit

Old 03-30-08, 09:43 AM
Dell Referb

Try http://delloutlet.com they have refurbed computers that were on lease somewhere and should be pretty good for this. I would look for something around $100. I would not spend $300 for this. You can find it. I don't know where you are, but I found a site called freecycle.org that lets people post what they want and often people are ready to give a pc to someone like you. they may have an extra sitting around cause they upgraded. You would want to look for your community to locate so you can pick up.

Old 03-30-08, 09:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation